VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've got a bad rear wheel bearing on my new to me '02 Jetta TDI and a couple of quick questions.

1) What size is the spindle nut? I think it's a 32mm 12 point but I'd like to get a confirmation before I order one.

2) I used a brake tool to push the piston back in to install new pads on the other side of the car. I had trouble getting it out of there. I couldn't turn tool the opposite way. I ended up breaking the tool trying to get it out. Is that normal or is that an indication of a seized caliper? I guess I'll have to use my stupid Lisle cube tool to do the other side.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I've seen those pistons being tricky on other vag cars even though the calipers were fine, it's not the best design in my opinion. As for the nut I'm not sure.:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
yes the rear spindle nut is a 32mm 12 point, did minea couple years ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it's a 30 mm 12 point. A 1 3/16" socket will also work.

For other Canadians out there, I found the 1 3/16" socket at Parts Source but it was a 3/4" drive so I also had to buy a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer since I don't have any 3/4" tools. It was about $20. Don't even bother with Canadian Tire. They don't stock a 12 point.

I also bought the 30mm at Princess Auto. I think it was about $12 there.

You'll want a impact wrench for this job. I tried a breaker bar about 18" long and my 190 lbs on it and it didn't budge. 10 seconds with my Dewalt electric impact wrench took care of it.

Other worthwhile info, the dealer wants $275 for the hub/bearing kit. My local parts supplier wanted $145. I ordered from Rock Auto for $55. I should have checked the VW specific sites as I see that ID parts has them for $55 as well. No all I need is a new spindle nut and the torque spec on it. Anybody have that spec handy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts