VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a year ago I changed out my rear brake pads. After I did I noticed the ABS light turn on and my ESP was off. So I opted to disconect the battery cable to see if the ECM would reset itself. To my surpirse it actually turned on the power steering light (yellow not red). I have no idea if my abs sensors are bad, and if I need to change out my steering angle sensor. This car is a massive pain in the ass and I hate working on it. Any suggestions on what I might be able to do?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Vagcom/vcds or a suitable scanner, it's the only way you'll be able to pinpoint the problem I think.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
226 Posts
The steering wheel and skidding car lights turn on anytime you disconnect the battery. Just drive and it goes away. The ABS could be due to a damaged ABS sensor. I know you have to turn the brake pistons when you press them back in, was that done? I don't even know if it's possible to force them back in. Any wires broken? Does the ABS still work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it has been over a year and they have not turned off. My dads cousin is a VW mechanic and he ran Vag-Com on it. He said it has one transmission abs code. The way we did the breaks was with a c clamp, I dont remember twisting the pistons in, just forcing them in with the clamp. I have not been down there since, I should probably inspect the sensors my self. I wonder if there is a way to check them and see if they are putting the rite amount of amperage out.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
They can be measured through VCDS (newer name for vag com) measuring blocks. If he's a VW mechanic he would know to twist the rear brake pads. This is how they are with all VW-Audi brakes. A c clamp won't work though, it'll only work on the front.

And I've had my Audi A4 ABS sensor damaged by a shop, the ABS would kick in every now and again when stopping for no reason. The only fix was replacement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well he did not change them, me and my dads friend did. I have learned that VW's are very peculiar cars, not like domestics. Is there a VCDS program and obd2 port you would recommend I used? I really so not know which one I should purchase.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
For the 2006 you must use either the hex-can or micro-can because your car uses CAN BUS communication. There's only 1 obd2 port on the car. They're expensive but they hold their value well because the software license follows the cable, not the user.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Welcome to the fourm. welcometomyturbodies
Is there a VCDS program and obd2 port you would recommend I used? I really so not know which one I should purchase.
It all depends on what you want to do with it? If you just want to read and reset the error codes then there are loads of OBD 2 readers on the market from £10 to £200+.

If you want the genuine Ross-Tech lead then you have to buy of them or one of there distributors. They do 3 types VCDS-Lite, Micro-CAN, and
HEX-USB+CAN. The differences are Function Chart / Feature Comparison, Communications Interfaces

It all depends on how much you want to spend?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I work at Autozone and our actron Code Scanner only reads and resets ABS codes for domestic vehicles. I might invest the money in buying this scanner since I plan on keeping the car for a while. This car has been, forgive me for being cliche, cursed. Ever since it was driven off the lot its had bad luck. On the freeway a big rig doped a piece of metal and it went under the vehicle and ruined the transmission. Four months later my dad flooded it and the engine was replaced. Ever since then it has not been the same. The transmission makes a rattling sound which I hope not to be the dual mass flywheel. There is one slow leak which I have not been able to pinpoint. Im really tired of this car, and to be honest with you I am afraid to work on it. Any pointers on how I should?

I went over the lite version of the VCDS and it looks to be very limited, I might keep browsing around till I find something that will work. Thanks for the information, both of you!

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
If your car uses a CAN bus for the OBD2 port, I don't believe you can make use of the VCDS Lite version... just the Micro-CAN or the full Hex+CAN cables...

These cars are temperamental and require attention, but you'll find that most modern cars are much more sophisticated than the ones you found in the "old" days... (try pricing out a diagnostic tool for a Toyota...)

Before you do anything, read up - here mainly, but also on the TDIclub... the cars don't appreciate shortcuts in the maintenance...

Yuri

1 - 10 of 10 Posts