VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2006 Jetta TDI last Friday. 5-speed Manual - Package 2 - so far, over 450 miles on my 1st tank of fuel, and fuel gauge just under 1/4 - I'm thinking I'll get close to if not 35 MPG or more - combination of highway and back road driving - and not at all trying for economy. :laugh: All in all, so far... LOVE IT!!! :D Anyway... one change I'd like to make if possible and anyone knows how to do it at a reasonable (under $100.00, give-or-take,) cost. Does anyone know how to change/retrofit the rear turn signals to be amber rather than red??? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Buy european ones surely or are they different from you guys? We've always got either amber, a slight smoke or clear on all our cars but I've yet to see a red one, the only thing you might need to mess with would be fog lights depending on how they're set up because some cars have just the one and if they do it has to be on a certain side I think.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Super Moderator
9,549 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

European ones use amber bulbs not lenses which is something I hate.

In the US they use amber front side lamps which is confusing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone who posted. OK - Found this link - MIGHT be willing to spend the $200.00? IF... I can be assured that this is what I'm looking for? SOUNDS like it? BUT... what about the vag-com tool? Where do I get one of those that I know is compatible and will work with my car? And how much? Or is it something that if I'd get the lights mentioned I could take it to a dealer and pay them for their time to do the programming? Here's the link:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.0T/Lighting/Taillights/ES5423/

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
There's a whole list of people with vagcom/vcds on the tdiclub that could do it for you at a fraction of the cost of the dealer, I think there's a google maps locator on there somewhere, have a browse. If youi want your own then the best thing to do is check out rosstech's website for info on what does what.:)

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I am not sure what type of Tail Lights you have, if you have standard bulbs then I don't know how to make the turn signals amber since your whole housing is probably red in color.

If on the other hand you have LED Tail Lights then you may have the ones with dual color (check which ones your have if they are LEDs), if you are not getting any bulb out errors with LED Tails then no coding is required using VagCom/VCDS to make the turn signals amber, just a simple wire swap behind the tail lights, there are instructions on vwvortex if you look at the DIYs for MK5 Jettas.

I have done it so I know it works.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks really nice...

Let us know how things work out with the install.

I know everyone talks about needing a vag-com tool.... is that easy to learn and to reprogram the computer in the car?

I am thinking if I go down the LED light install.. would definetely want to bring it someone that has experience with a vag-com tool

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,549 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
I know everyone talks about needing a vag-com tool.... is that easy to learn and to reprogram the computer in the car?
No it isn't easy and the 92 page user manual isn't a great help for the things you want to change. The thing is it reminds you to write the old numbers down before you change anything so you can change it back to default if things don't work correctly. There is a menu option to change back to default if you do something wrong thats all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts