VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the 2011 MY T-egg TDI's have been on the road for a bit what has been your experience with fuel mileage? Has it met expectations or is it not that better than the gasser? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Of course the diesel is better on fuel con that petrol/gas because more heat does more work the thermal efficiency is better.

This is UK mpg not US mpg. Mine is pretty poor as its 70% local running.

There is a thread on fuel con if you search for it on here?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Only 1900 miles to date. During the 1st 1800 I used the transmission in the regular Drive mode, and seldom switched to Tiptronic. Fuel consumption was slightly better than 19/28 EPA estimates, the 1800 mile average being 26.7 mpg. I topped up the tank at 1800 miles, then started using Sport mode. Only 100 miles in Sport so far, but doesn't seem to be the fuel sucking experience that the salesman made it out to be. I'll try this for another 1700 miles so that I can draw a fair comparison between Drive and Sport. Using the Tiptronic just seems like too much work - for everyday driving that is. Perhaps it's intended more for off-roading.

If anybody's interested, my 2006 E-class had a two mode tranny; Comfort and Standard. I'm getting the impression that MB Comfort equates to VW Drive, and MB Standard equates to VW Sport. I didn't care for the "mushy" feel of MB Comfort, it delayed lockup times between gears and actually locked out 1st gear when less than half throttle was applied. So I spent most of my time in Standard, preferring to actually feel the driving experience. I reserved Comfort almost exclusively for slippery road conditions when starting out in 2nd gear induced less wheel slippage. Given the E-class experience, I have a feeling - assuming negligible fuel consumption differences - that I may end up using VW Sport as my preferred mode.

//greg//

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, thats kind of what I was looking for. Sorry I wasn't clearer in my post, I was not inferring that diesels did not get better mileage than gassers -- far from it. I just wanted to find out how the NEW Touareg TDI was doing fuel mileage wise. On some SUV's the diesel option really only gets about 2 or 4 MPG better than the comparable gas version in the real world -- that doesn't help much considering the premium for the engine and the diesel fuel cost at the pump these days. I looked at the pumps today and the cost in NoCal is running about 20 cents higher than premium gas which is about $4.07.:ugh

·
Registered
48 Posts
Diesel fuel prices

You think California is bad, diesel cost at least $4.25 in northern NY. Diesel has been averaging 40 cents higher than 87 octane gas. #2 heating oil and diesel is outrageous here. It's just not the high taxes on fuel. It's the jacked up/lack of energy policy etc... Thanks Obama, Pelosi, Reed, and Boxer. Gee it would have been nice if all those farmers in California could have gotten the water needed instead of saving the water for some little fish that I would have harvested as salmon/trout bait. Especially now that so many farms along our rivers were flooded on purpose to protect cities.

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
You think your fuel is expensive you want to live over here diesel is £1.39 per litre which is £6.32 a gallon which is $10.30 to you?

·
Registered
147 Posts
... which is $10.30 to you?
More like $8.50 actually. But even that's bad enough. Been several years now, but when I lived in Caithness I think I was paying about 32p

//greg//

·
Registered
41 Posts
Greg, I am confused about the Tiptronic. As far as I can tell my 2011 Touareg (Lux) is always in the Tiptronic mode. Am I missing something? BTW, I am getting 27 to 29 highway and 22 or 23 in town.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, my terminology may be less than accurate. But discounting park and reverse, my shift lever offers three options;
a. pull back to D, full auto through all 8 gears. The letter D is displayed in the instrument panel. That's what I called Drive above
b. when in D, push to the right - then manually shift up and down thru all 8 gears. I believe you can hold the car in any particular gear in this mode tool. The gear you're currently in is displayed in the instrument panel. That's what I referred to as Tiptronic.
c. squeeze shift button and pull all the way back to S. Also full auto through all 8 gears, but higher and firmer shift points. The letter S is displayed in the instrument panel. That's what I called Sport above.

//greg//

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the heavier 2010 t-reg w/4 corner air suspension I'm getting 26-27 mpg on the fwy & 20-21 around town. This is measured @ the fuel pump using a 2-3 tank average. This is the best way to measure. The computer average is skewed being 1-1.5 miles/gal higher. I'm thinking this is due to the larger 20 inch wheels & higher rolling/wheel speed. I'm assuming this is measured @ the hub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Seems like a decent increase over the gasser -- not to mention the better performance!:D

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I've got 15,000 miles on my 2011 and get 25-26 in town and 28-29 on the highway driving 75-85. Had one long stretch at 90 and still got 28.2. My wife is much better at using the diesel "coast" than I am and she got a 3 hour average of 30.3 mpg at 70-75.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With 23,000 kms on our 2011 TDI Execline, our total average is 7.5 litres/100 km or 31.3 MPG US, this is the AVERAGE which includes lots of city, winter driving and at least 4,000 kms of trailer towing. The last 3,000 kms have averaged 7.3 l/100 km or 32.2 MPG US. Highway is 6.5 l/100 km or 36 MPG! All except the highway mileage is from my spreadsheet and pump information.

This vehicle far exceeds my expectations, and is about 15% better than out 2009 TDI Touareg!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts