VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be getting conflcting information on this one so I thought I would ask. I want to get a spare key fob for my 06 Jetta TDI. I have an extra key fob from my old 07 Rabbit. The keys are both 2 piece and both have the same part number for the immobilizer part.

So my question is, can I just buy the "key" part, have it cut, and re-program the immobilizer portion to work with my Jetta? I thought I had read somewhere that for this generation, they can only be programmed once. When I asked at the dealer, the parts guy told me I should be able to program it to work with my Jetta.

Has anyone done this or does anyone know for sure?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
They can only be programmed once to a car. You can "reprogram" them again but not to another car unless you know how to reset the RFID chip. This is because of how the rolling code system works. I've heard it's possible to reset the RFID for another use but I don't know any more except that it's not easy and google doesn't say how. I can tell you how to easily destroy it :dunno Nuke it in the microwave or crush it with a hammer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that and thought it was too good to be true. Are there other reasonable options, rather than spending $250 at the dealer, or buyiing the cheap keys made in China?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts