VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

I was wondering what size gig SD card the 510 radio would read. Chitty notes that the specs say 2 gigs but I saw a Uk posting where the guy said he was using an 8 gig card. Has anyone tried their new radios on the 2010's using the SD card. Please all chime in so we can do an unscientific survey.
Thanks so much

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Location of Thread

Could this thread be moved to the MK5 technical?

thanks

martin

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 8gig card works fine, except looks like itunes creates hidden file structure when modifying MP3s to different formats. So when I copy entire folders directly over to the SD card, my Jetta will reconize hidden files which it can't play, it kind of locks up, so in a cd folder with 12 songs it lists 24, 12 of which don't play. I need to go back onto the card and delete the hidden files.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does it load any faster?

I've used a couple of 2 GB SD cards. (Silly me, I read the manual and it said 2GB so I took the 8GB SD card back to Costco after I found my 2GB in a picture frame)

I'll have to try the 32GB card as I can't seem to load the HD the way I want to. Every new disc ends up in a different folder. Sure would be nice to have an AUTORUN.INF / AUTOEXEC.BAT type file to load my files where I want them. Not where the radio wants them. :confused:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Loaded SD card but just list songs

My daughter loaded about 100 songs for me on the 8gig SDHC. However my ipod when played through the MDI, list albums, or songs or artists.

On the SD card the play list is just songs and there are no options for albums or artists. However I had another person load his mini SD card from his Motorola phone into an SD card and then inserted it in my car and I could get album, artist or song.

What is going on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Tag" You're it.

Mar,

Good to hear the RCD 510 will read a 8 GB SD Card.

Now on the Artist / Album / Title information. It's all in the tagging of the .mp3/.wav file that the RCD 510 is playing. There are tag fields in both the .mp3/.wav file that contains Artist/Album/Title information or Album/Artist/Title or Title/Album/Artist ... ad naseaum. The RCD will be consistant in what it displays as playing with the field number (if I may) in the file. So, whatever is in field #1 shows up on the top line, Field #2 on the second line and so forth.

Maybe somebody out there more familiar with the innards of the .mp3/.wav file can explain it better.

To get things consistant --- Buy yourself some SD cards, pick an .mp3/.wav software (iTunes / MusicMatch (yes I know it's now yahoo..) / WinAmp / Windows Media Player) and retag your music library. Make sure you back it up somewhere first. It will take a while to retag everything so be prepared with a libation of choice to pass the time....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tagging Music

Hi:

Thanks for your quick response. So what you are saying is that when my daughter loaded her music from her I tunes program onto my SD card she did not have it tagged with artist and Album but just title whereas my nephew who loaded his mini SD card from his phone inot my SD slot had his music tagged?

Can I assume that my Ipod which had music loaded from my wifes computer was tagged with artist, album and song as that was what came up or does itunes in conjunction with the ipod do that automatically?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tag Your It

What I am saying is "Your Mileage May Vary" depending on how the mp3 file was created. iTunes may have tagged the files differently than the programmed that tagged the files on the phone.

I don't have any of them there iThingies (yet)...but I have seen that the look and feel across iThingies is very consistent by default. i.e. The iThingies probably tagged everything in a consistent manner.

I now feel the need to go get myself an ithingie to see how that world works. :eek

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NAV

Heh:

By the way I notice u have a NAV. Does the 9w2 bluetooth give u anything more with your Nav? Voice Comand for Phone? Phone functions like contact, missed calls, calls made etc on the screen? Pad to dial out on touch screen?
I am considering the Kufatech Fiscon to upgrade my phone but if the NAV does this stuff then I may eventually spring for a NAV rather then pay the $568 for this aftermarket upgrade to the 9w2 bluetooth.

I am also told that with the VW Nav there is minimal text to speech. That it is the Nav is verbal when getting on the interstate highway but no voice directions when turning left on "main street"?

thanks

martin

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I believe that you still need 9w3 for the NAV to have those functions. It does add touchscreen options though. Not sure on the other Nav functions but adding the RNS 510 GPS is almost plug-play.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SD card

Pardon my ignorance, but does the standard radio have the SD card slot or does that only come with the Nav system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Frau Blücher (aka VW NAV) will tell you to "Turn right right on to route 495 towards Marlborough, now" The NAV is quite descriptive.

I watched some of the "how to" videos on the VW web site. You need to call 800-DRIVEVW to register on the Owners site. Once you get that done, there are some imformative videos of how things work. This car does a zillion nifty little things. e.g. If the doors are locked so is the fuel filler door, the wipers alternate resting position and how the NAV system works. This is done with typical VW humor. They even drop in a little Klingon.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll start w/ 4G

I have an 8gig card works fine, except looks like itunes creates hidden file structure when modifying MP3s to different formats. So when I copy entire folders directly over to the SD card, my Jetta will reconize hidden files which it can't play, it kind of locks up, so in a cd folder with 12 songs it lists 24, 12 of which don't play. I need to go back onto the card and delete the hidden files.

Then I will open the new-product seal of a 4GB card I bought for this use. Wife wanted to surprise me w/ purchase of larger memory card...said hold for now till I here from the guru's

G

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VW Specs

Hi:

VW says a 2gig SD card works or up to 32gig with a SDHC card. I had called them and they called me back with this info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts