VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a light upgrade and don't want to pay for the OEM xenons, what is the best halogen bulb?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
sylvania - typo?

IMHO, there's not a huge world of difference between halogens, maybe 15% difference in light. Don't forget that new bulbs tend to be a little cheaper than old bulbs. Try polishing the headlights, there's a writeup in the FAQ on this, if the headlight lenses are cloudy it'll prevent the light from getting out of the headlight.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
There is a big difference between different brands, even Sylvania says that their basic halogen is not as bright as their silverstars. Also check your plug and wiring. More watts = brighter light, loose or corroded plugs/wiring = dimmer lights.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Instead of OEM HIDs, check out the ecodes too, they are about $329 / set. Compared to $1000/ set for HIDs, you might like it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Instead of OEM HIDs, check out the ecodes too, they are about $329 / set. Compared to $1000/ set for HIDs, you might like it.
Where can i find Ecodes? I have been searching around for information but can't seem to find much more than general conversation. I have a 80's benz i put ecodes in from Hella and it was a huge difference and would like to do the same in my 2000 Jetta.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
E-Codes are the way to go. I've got the OEM HID kit from Europe and its great, but, if I were to do it again I would go with E-codes: cheaper and equally amazing light output even with a halogen bulb.

Also fun to wire the foglights, if you get housings that include them.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I have to add a vote for Ecodes.
I have Jetta Ecodes with a relay harness to get full voltage to the bulbs, this made a big difference. with the use of the harness I felt it was safe to try a higher wattage bulb, I'm running an 80/100w H4, they were $10 each so far so good as far as not overheating goes but it is winter, I'll keep an eye on the housing for signs of heat damage. I will say that the lights are are considerably brighter than 55/60w H4's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts