VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

Looking for some help here. Just bought a 32G SDHC card for my '10 TDI. I loaded the files on it last night but when I put it in the radio it only recognizes about a third of the files. :dunno They are all in mp3 format. The folders & files appear on my laptop with the card inserted, but the radio only recognizes them alphabetically until the mid "C's" with a random folder beginning with "R" as the last one. I had a 16G card that worked just fine with the same music but I ran out of room on it. The manual says the radio should read up to a 32G SDHC. I packed this new card with twice the music. Are there limitations to what the radio can read? The card has 29G on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are limits on the number of files that the radio can handle. I think it is something like 2000 files. I imagine it is pretty painful trying to navigate through that many files on the radio. Mine certainly isn't snappy and I only have around 600 songs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As others have said try a smaller capacity SD card. I use 8 gig cards and have had no trouble.
Another thing to try is to "defragment" the SD card, because sometimes the files can get a little "scattered" and make it harder for the radio to read it.

Good luck.

cheers
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense if there is a limit to the number of files the radio can read...When I got close to maxxing the 16G card, I couldn't see my last few folders. I'll try defragmenting the card and see if that helps. I guess 32G cap is more like 12 with this radio. There are certainly many more than 2000 files in 29G of music...Should have popped for the ipod control...damn

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's definitely the ~2000 file limit causing the problem. Do you have the MDI interface? If so, you can get a portable hard drive really cheaply and have all your music with you. It will require a USB or mini-USB connector, however. The response time is good and it's easy to use. The only issue I have is that the file-limit affects MIX mode -- if I try to MIX all of my music, only the first 2000 songs on the hard drive are played. I ended up buying an 8GB SD card to use for MIX play and use the hard drive to play specific artists/songs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's definitely the ~2000 file limit causing the problem. Do you have the MDI interface? If so, you can get a portable hard drive really cheaply and have all your music with you. It will require a USB or mini-USB connector, however. The response time is good and it's easy to use. The only issue I have is that the file-limit affects MIX mode -- if I try to MIX all of my music, only the first 2000 songs on the hard drive are played. I ended up buying an 8GB SD card to use for MIX play and use the hard drive to play specific artists/songs.
I dont think I have the MDI interface. Just an SD slot with a touch screen I wished i had known about the max # of files earlier. Might be cheaper and easier for me to get a bluetooth mp3 player and sync it with the radio that way. Are there any limitations syncing bluetooth compatible audio devices? Probably file restrictions there too! Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Which radio do you have?
I ask which radio you have but you haven't said yet?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up.

I've been HUGELY disappointed witht he MP3 reading abilities of the RNS-315 in my 2011 JSW.

Whether off MP3 CDs or the SD card (I've only used a simple 1GB so far), it is incredibly finicky about recognizing and reading 'non-standard' formats and encodings (different bitrates, variable even etc).

The CD player also skips a lot - which is unimaginable considering how little (mp3) data needs to be read and buffered at a time for long stretches of read-free playback.

My 2003 Mazda 6's Pioneer sourced stock MP3 CD player was infinitely more forgiving. And skipped less!

Does it sound like I might have a faulty unit, or is the MP3 capability really that bad on the 315 and its ilk?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here are the requirements for the RNS-315. Your radio may vary.

From page 21 in the 2011 U.S. RNS-315 manual...

Media Sources:
Audio Cds with the CD Digital Audio trademark...
CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW audio data CD up to a maximum of 700 MB...
SD and MMC memory cards up to a maximum of 2GB (FAT-16) and
SDHC memory cards up to a maximum of 32GB (FAT-32)...

Requirements for Playback:
MP3 files (.mp3) with bit rates from 48 to 320kbs, or VBR.
WMA files (.wma) up to 9.2 mono/stereo, without copy protection.
Play lists in PLS, M3U, and WPL formats.
File name and file path not longer than 256 characters.
Directory structures with a maximum of eight levels.
MP3 CDs: a maximum of 50 folders and a maximum of 500 files.
Memory cards: a maximum of 5000 folders and a maximum of
15,000 files, with a per-folder maximum of 6000 files.

Have you uploaded the latest MDI firmware update from VW? It fixes a lot of file-search issues...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Confirm 2000 file max for RCD510 radio

SUMMARY:
To get the most tracks onto your 8 or 16 GB SDHC card in the brain-dead VW
RCD510 radio or related models, lay out a bunch of empty top level folders, and
put folders in **them** (second-level folders) for the music.

Never put more than 500 tracks in any second-level folders.

Use third-level folders if it helps you group your music.

Expect no more than 2054 tracks overall -- 7.8GB for my VBR compression levels.
As others have said, there's a ca. 2000 track limit.
I presume if the tracks were longer (classical music), you could fill a bigger
SDHC card but not break the 2054 track limit.

DETAILS

CAPACITIES GB
  • SD - 2GB
  • SDHC - 32GB
  • SCXC - 2TB
WRITE-Speed classes are 2,4,6, 10 MB/s -- buy obsolete slower ones to save money
- you aren't doing video here.

If your very old PC (WinXP not updated) is not reading/writing your high
capacity Secure Digital card, get the SDHC industry association's own formatter
here:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

EMPTY TOP-LEVEL, 500 TRACK MAX

VW violates all standards in the industry and will not read an SD card as a hard
drive. The radio scans the entire folder hierarchy (which is not necessary)
into a memory buffer that is very small (which is stupid) using an algorithm
which is unclean as well as proprietary. Thus, the maximum number of files
per folder is variable (I have seen 514 to 680), and, if you exceed or even
reach the limit, the number of subfolders you can add to that **or other**
folders is reduced. Folders you could see before will become invisible.

Therefore, in my experience, it is best never to put more than 500 tracks into
any folder, and all first-level folders ("CLASSIC" "CLASSIC-JAZZ" "POP-ALL"
"POP-SELECTED") should be empty.

PLAYLISTS SEMI-USELESS

If you put a playlist in a folder, it will only select/display/play the tracks
in that folder (under 500, remember) and not access the sub-folders, even though
the radio is said to travel the subfolder trail when playing successive cuts
(acc. to the manual). So VW has shattered both your music library and the
pleasure you once had with your playlists. If you had to break 2000 files up
into 4x 500 subfolders, you could make a copy of the playlist for each folder;
it will play what's there.

NAVIGATION
Press SELECTION in the lower right of the MEDIA window (screen) display, then the small
curved arrow box in the upper right to get to the root of your folder tree.

OPEN-SOURCE
VW should realize the world has left them behind, and open-source their cockpit
firmware. Crowd-sourcing will get them the customer satisfaction that eludes
them. We are worse off here than 1995 Windows95 with FAT-16 file systems.
Ridiculous.

If you find ways around any of this, please post and let me know so I can
revise. Firmware update perhaps? And the sound is awful too -- stuff a towel through each rear door handle to block the upper-midrange speakers. If this kills the shrillness for you, paste a piece of cardboard over the speakers. For a little more top end, make a small hole in the center, over the voice coil. Where can I get an adapter for the radio connector block, to tap off the rear speaker signals for my own audio system add-ons?
--jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are the requirements for the RNS-315. Your radio may vary.

From page 21 in the 2011 U.S. RNS-315 manual...

Media Sources:
Audio Cds with the CD Digital Audio trademark...
CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW audio data CD up to a maximum of 700 MB...
SD and MMC memory cards up to a maximum of 2GB (FAT-16) and
SDHC memory cards up to a maximum of 32GB (FAT-32)...
The 2012 manual doesn't have the same text. I put in a 64GB card today (with only 4GB of data on it) to my 2012 Jetta RNS-315 and it loaded everything fine. Getting a 128GB soon hopefully :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
A few things I found...

For the 2012, according to the 2012 manual the per-folder limit is 6000, 15000 total between all folders. I've have as many as 5500 and no issue so there are apparent differences between the models.

I found that if you rip CDs that are protected to wmp they will cause the sterio to stop reading further; I changed to ripping everything as MP3 and issues went away; I have 5300 files and 15.5 GB of music and it reads just perfect.

Cheap card == problems; affects playback quality and music skipping so be sure you get the correct card (that are high speed and standard; get the better ones).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts