VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
The car is an '11 Golf TDI. It's four days old, with less than 200 miles on it. The outside temperature is in the mid-twenties (F). My wife took the car to work (20 miles, each way). Coming home, the last two miles before our driveway are straight and level and are driven at about 40 mph. She rolled in, shut the car off, got out, locked the car, came in the house, and asked "why is the radiator fan running on the Golf?" I went outside to check and sure enough, the fan is whirring away...out in the cold driveway, after two easy miles (heck, 20 easy miles) at 40 mph in 25-degree temperatures. Is this normal, or even possible? I unlocked the car and started it up for a few seconds, checking the gauges (all nominal)...and then shut it off. The fan shut off, too. Coincidence, or something to worry about? What's normal on these cars, anyway? :dunno

Update:

I'm sorry I posted this, now. I found a thread over on Fred's site explaining that this "problem" occurs when you shut the car off while it's in the middle of a DPF re-gen cycle, and is, in fact, not a problem at all...just normal operation. I tried to delete the post, but couldn't find the option...:eek:

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
I think you'll find its the air con fan not the coolant fan that runs when the engine is switched off mine does very occasionally. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder how often the DPF should need to regen while the car is new and still breaking in. That first event that prompted my original post occurred at around 430 miles. Today, it regened again at about 640 miles. I've been keeping the revs between 1500-3000, driving gently until it's warmed up and then booting it once in a while, with no extended top-gear cruising. Am I doing something wrong, or is this typical during early break in?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There is more piston blowby and less fuel economy when the engine is still breaking in so I'm guessing that how tight the engine is may also be related to how often it does an active regen. 600 miles is about normal since I believe it's programmed to do a regen regardless every 1000 km. I can't remember off the top of my head...which is why wrote the value down in the DPF FAQ article!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wonder how often the DPF should need to regen while the car is new and still breaking in. That first event that prompted my original post occurred at around 430 miles. Today, it regened again at about 640 miles. I've been keeping the revs between 1500-3000, driving gently until it's warmed up and then booting it once in a while, with no extended top-gear cruising. Am I doing something wrong, or is this typical during early break in?
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Does VW say anything about this in the owner's manual? If not you shouldn't have to worry about it. IIRC, someone said the manual does say something about the 507.00 engine oil but what does it say about the DPF?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts