VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -- I've been cmpltly blown away by all the information on this site.

Just purchased a preowned 2010 six speed manual TDI SportWagen with only 7500 miles on it from a local Austin TX dealer -- the car came with the existing 3yr/36k warranty (minus the existing 7500) AND a Certified Preowned additional 2yr/24k miles additional warranty for a total 5yr/60 VW wrnty.

Been doing my homework, and learning about the 507.00 spec and which oils are included in it, common rail engines, how diesel engines work, vag-com, CJAA, and of course the HPFP failures in late model CR TDI (some scary stuff).

This might not be the place to start asking questions, but I have a simple one about DIY fuel filter changing on a 2010 TDI.

Near as I can tell, earlier TDI models (pre common rail engines?) enabled you to prime the filter after replacement by turning the key to "on" a few times. That action energized the pump, which filled the canister with fuel and purged the system of air.

Question ???? is it possible to change the filter on a 2010 without using vag com to prime the system? My engine uses a fuel filter canister containing a bleed valve, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks --- I'm still not 100% clear if a procedure exists that enables fuel filter replacement on a 2010 wagon without having to have a vag-com.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You could fill the filter all the way with fuel. However, this does not prime it fully. Since the fuel pump doesn't run with the key ON but no start, not really. I doubt all dealers do this every time either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts