VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

New to the group and I have a few questions. I just bought my first diesel, a 2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagon with 61,000 miles. And I love it so far. I do have some questions though.

I have always checked my mileage when I fill up. Something my father taught me. (Miles driven divided by gallons of fuel.) I filled up my car when I got it. The on board computer was showing about 40 MPG. However, when I filled up and checked, it was at about 33. Are the computers really that far off? And should I use any kind of fuel additive?

Second, the car didn't come with the owners manual. What is a good maintenance schedule for the car? (Tune ups, timing belt etc.) I did the t-belt on my 2006 A4 (fun 10 hour job). Is this just as fun? Easier? Harder?

And final question for now. I have the RNS315 (I think) nav system in the car. It's meh. Id prefer to upgrade to the RNS510. How is that to do? Is it plug and play? Will I lose any functionality? Will it fit in the same trim or do I need the trim from the donor car?

Thanks so much

Larry

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
The mileage indicators can be off by quite a bit especially if you do a lot of stop and go in town driving.

I use power service diesel kleen additive regularly for the additional lubricants and cetane boost but its a personal choice and not absolutely needed. I've noticed it boosts my mpg by about 5-7%.

You can download a copy of your owners manual here:

This isn't the exact article you are looking for but it should answer many of your questions:

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Myturbodiesel moving on

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

Reactions: Lumpyd

·
Premium Member
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
9 Posts
I always figure out my MPG by hand as well. For a little while I used a spreadsheet and would mark down every trip of what the computer said my MPG was. When I filled it up I would average all the entries I made per trip and compare it to the hand calculated MPG and it was never the same. I don't remember how much it was off for me. It was a while ago and I only did it for a couple tanks just to see what it was.

As far as fuel additives, I use Opti-Lube XPD.

Timing belt is 120k on the TDI except for Golfs where it's 130k. Not sure what the difference is.
Here is a good place to find the maintenance schedules.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts