VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Question about standard transmission bracket bolts

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Keithuk 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm installing the 02J standard transmission on my 05 New Beetle after a clutch change.. I removed the transmission several years ago and then life happened, and I'm just now getting it put back together. When i removed the transmission, I tried to keep the screws with their parts.

The transmission bracket (1J0199117P in case you want to Google images of the bracket itself) attaches to the transmission and to the transmission mount -- that is, it goes between them. I found 3 M10x80 screws together with the bracket, and it looks like they are used to attach the bracket to the transmission. These are numbered 1, 2, & 3 in the photos below.

Bolts 1 & 2 pass through unthreaded holes in the bracket and then into threaded holes in the transmission itself. Bolt #3 goes through an unthreaded hole in a transmission tab and then into a threaded hole in the bracket. To be clear, the bracket is in front of the transmission for bolts 1 & 2, but then flips around behind a transmission tab for bolt #3.

Here's my question: The M10x80 bolts work great for 1 & 2. However, it seems too long for bolt #3. The second photo above shows it with about 15mm of theads showing; and it is also sticking out on the other end about a cm. So it seems like 1) there is something that should be installed on that bolt that would take up the extra space on the bolt, or 2) I should be using a M10x55 or M10x60 bolt. What am I doing wrong?

I'm pretty sure the three 10x80 bolts I'm using were came from the original installation because I stored them with the bracket. Also, idparts has a transmission mount and bracket bolt kit HERE that provides 3 M10x80 bolts for mounting the bracket to the transmission. In the product photo, the M10x80 bolts are the three in the middle.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
OK, I think I've figured it out. I removed the airbox from my 2003 Jetta Wagon, which uses the same mount & bracket, and started investigating. The #3 10x80 bolt does indeed stick out about 20-25 cm on the inside of the bracket.

Here's a photo of bracket bolt #3 protruding on the backside of the bracket about 20-25 cm.

#4 ·
Will that be required anytime I post photos? I usually find that photos really help others understand the question and/or solution. As a result, I usually get better responses. Thank you!

#5 ·
#6 ·
Thanks for the clarification, Keith. In the future, if I want to post photos here, I'll upload them separately to this site.

#7 ·
As I've said your pictures show after I approved this thread.

Its not an easy question to answer.

I use Upload Image — Free Image Hosting now after PhotoBucket started charging to posting on 3rd party sites.

You have to use the correct code tags for posting pictures on a forum.

I joined another free site and that has finished with email message.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.