VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the Manual transmission gear oil change: a5/mk5 VW Jetta TDI (2005.5-2006) write up step by step but am now confused.

I removed all plugs and jacked up my 2006 jetta tdi manual but only got 1.1 liters out.

Not exactly knowing what to do next I replaced all plugs and filled it up with transmission oil through the fill hole. I was only able to put 1.1 liter back in. What's up with the 1.8 liters?

I read through the bulletin but couldn't make sense out of it I also read the beginning of the write up but it confused me. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
The way I understand it, if you can't get it all out, only put back however much comes out. Did you remove both the fill plug, drain plug, and the shift fork pin plug? Otherwise not all of it came out. Maybe Chitty can chime in here? The plug is too low and there's something about the drain plug not being able to drain all of the oil.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The idea is that the fill hole is low. I've never heard of this problem until this car. Most of the time you just fill the transmission until it begins to drip out of the fill hole. In this car, the angle of the transmission will result in oil dripping out early.

Are you the original owner? Did it ever have the gear oil changed before? If the gear oil was at 1.7 I wouldn't be worried but 1.1 is pretty low. There is no fluid pump, the gear oil is just slinged around by the motion of the gears.

In the picture below from the writeup, the blue arrow is the shift fork pin. The TSB specifically mentions that it should be removed in addition to the drain plug. This drains out all 1.8L. If you didn't remove the plug and only drained out 1.1 and put back 1.1, you should be OK.

If you removed both drain plugs and only got out 1.1 you were low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm the only owner but I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I recently had a trusted mechanic repair my clutch and change the transmission oil he said it was low to begin with which was 10000 miles ago he said he filled it all the way up. I have no idea what to do I can't get more than 1.1 out. The picture shows exactly the bolts I removed

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's possible it leaked out. It was low before and it was low again. Either that or he screwed up during the refill. It should have been obvious if he could only drain 1 L but 1.8 L back in: you should have 2.5 L drained now. It doesn't add up. Do you have a repair invoice for the amount of fluid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the invoice states (2x) G 060 762 A2 gear oil 1L. which means he used 2 liters. But even if he did not put enough back in I should be able to put 1.8 liters in when refilling myself right? I couldn't fit more than 1.1 liter in the fill hole.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Did you top it off through the reverse switch? The whole point of the TSB and the article is that unlike most transmissions you can't just top it off through the fill hole because of the angle. You'll only get about a liter in which sounds like what you did. You have to remove the reverse switch and add the remainder, in your case, .7L.

What's confusing me is that you said "Yes I removed all three and tilted the car every Direction possible. I followed every step. 1.1 liters" " I have no idea what to do I can't get more than 1.1 out." to me that means the transmission was low. With all the indicated plugs out all the fluid should have come out. As Superbass said, if the previous service added 2L where did it go?

Also, I saw a post by you on another forum, can I use those pictures you posted? They could come in handy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's exactly what is confusing to me. The invoice states that they filled it up twice with 2 liters (they had some bearing problems and drained it twice). I will call them today and ask them about it. I will probably just put .7 liters in the reverse switch hole like you said. I was just concerned that there might be still .7 liters in the transmission and that I will end up with 2.5 liters.

I bought some cheap gear oil to flush the system out. I'm going to fill it up with 1.8 liters and then drain it, that should tell me if there wasn't enough oil in to begin with.

I will keep you guys updated, thank you again for all your help.

Yes, you can use my pictures, I have some more of the gear if you need any. You probably already have the link to the thread but if not HERE it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay i put it all together and it's not working.
I took it for a test drive and there's a really loud rattling noise coming from fifth gear.
I'm not sure if the broken gear took some more of the transmission or if I just assembled it wrong.
I'm going to take it to a trusted mechanic tomorrow.
thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

Digging up an old thread here. I have the Australian version of the VW Jetta - 2006 - 103 TDi - Manual, 6sp. I recently followed the guide:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/manual-transmission-gear-oil-change-mk5-mk6-tdi/

I really appreciated having access to that, so thank-you.

Does anyone happen to know if the Aussie version of the Jetta has the same manual gearbox capacity as mentioned in the guide (i.e. 1.9L)? When I drained it I was able to get out about 2.1L. I decided to change the fluid because it had been leaking for some time and I wanted to try some stop leak. I also wanted to check how low the oil was so I could be confident it wasn't too low. I was wondering if the fluid amount is more for my version of car given I took out 2.1L and it had been leaking prior to that.

In the picture above I didn't take the bolt out that the blue arrow is pointing to either - perhaps there would have been even more oil in there than the 2.1L?

I've contacted a couple of VW service places here and have had some wildly different responses which is a bit of a worry! 3.5L I was told initially; another said 2.3L and another still said somewhere between 2L and 3L ........... hmm hence I'm confused.

Also, just as a side note, the filler and drain plugs took a 10mm Allen instead of 17mm (which I had already bought in anticipation lol) so the Aussie model differs in that respect.

Any help appreciated greatly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts