VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

for years i didn't think VW sold diesels in CA anymore, but discovered they did just a few weeks ago, traded in my truck, and picked me up a new 2011 Jetta TDI. I LOVE this car! I love the diesel!

So, a few Q's:

I am looking at rear spoilers, anyone know of a good place to purchase?

I am wondering if there is a way to modify the radio to play video? I have movies on my ipod, it would seem that there would be some kind of software hack out there that would be capable of modifying the radio. DISCLAIMER - This isn't for me to watch movies, my son sits in the middle back seat and can see the radio screen, and I am aware that movies on that radio may not be legal, but I am simply asking if anyone has tried it, yet.

Rims - the VW has an interesting bolt pattern. Anyone know of a good place to purchase rims from?

Chip - I don't normally buy into "performance chips" on a gas engine, but am aware that many companies have produced diesel chips with good reviews, for years. Anyone have one?

lastly - I have a little jetski that weighs about 600lbs. I know it's not totally abnormal to tow with a car (and I have a jeep that I will probably always tow it with), but has anyone installed a hitch and done any small towing?

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The radio does not have video in, not possible to add.

The RNS510 GPS can and the Euro RCD510 can. The Euro radio will work fine in FM but has no AM or sirius.

Try kermatdi.com and malonetuning.com. They seem to have current tunes. I think Revo also has one.

Lots of people have good reviews with the OEM hitch. It hides and tucks under the bumper when not in use so it's a hidden hitch. It's expensive though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone else?

Just put my first 1300 miles on it, 1,000 of those on the highway to LA and back, 46.2 mpg! I've been finding great prices on diesel thanks to the gas buddy app on my phone, too!

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
For playing video in a car for kids, it seems it just has to be cheapest and easiest to get an iPad. I have not looked. but I suspect they even have custom holders to hang the iPad on the front seats to allow them to be hands free in the back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my thing is that it has an ipod interface, it seems to me that it would be capable, if there was a software hack, of playing ipod video through the screen. that interface is a standard ipod interface and not just an audio jack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In-car video

I'd like to know as well about the video & how to bypass while moving. It works great for the kids while in the parking lot but is audio only while driving. Any suggestions on fixing this?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I'd like to know as well about the video & how to bypass while moving. It works great for the kids while in the parking lot but is audio only while driving. Any suggestions on fixing this?
It's an external plug in module or you have to send the RNS 510 to someone who can take it apart and mod it internally.

I don't think you can do audio only while driving but you can do video in motion. I haven't tried any of these modules but if you google it there are plenty of places which sell these.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how do you even get the video to work when sitting still???

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
how do you even get the video to work when sitting still???
The RNS 510 GPS plays video, your RCD 510 radio does not.

The European RCD510 radio does play video but it's made by a different manufacturer to different specs. It has video input. It also does not have the same AM or sat radio tuning but FM works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is my 2011 TDI I just bought 3 weeks ago. I am selling the stock wheels/tires and mounting the ones below in a few weeks.

I also have an appointment to get the windows tented, and am going to buy a lip spoiler for the rear deck.

I was kicking around the idea of buying the votex kit, but not sure.

How hard is it to lower one of these (would I even want to do it)? can you just cut the springs or are they struts? I have access to tools/shop on base (military). I am pretty versed in all things Jeeps, but this is my first passenger car. I've installed many lifts, I'm a good mechanic, I've done everything from building my own axles to installing headers, never lowered a car though :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a lighted rear spoiler for my 2011 Jetta TDI... they can be ordered fully painted with VW paint and ready to install:

http://www.carid.com/2012-volkswagen-jetta-body-kits/

Looks like you bought some great rims, hope you post a picture of the finished vehicle once they are mounted.

I plan to sell my factory wheels as well, any lucks selling them? Did you craigslist or Ebay it? What is a good price to ask for 4 factory TDI wheels and rims?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts