VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2010 Q7 TDI S line package in March of 2013. We now have an 8 month old baby and this vehicle is our primary baby hauler. Our garage is attached but not heated. It's been a brutally cold winter up here in Minnesota- high temp tomorrow is -16 degrees. The concern is warming the vehicle before loading the baby. This is especially concerning in the cold mornings on the way to day care. Allowing the Q7 to idle in the driveway doesn't warm the cabin much. I understand that the diesel motor won't warm until being driven. Is there another way to warm the cabin so our baby doesn't turn into a Popsicle?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Darren

·
Super Moderator
9,337 Posts
It appears that Audi don't fit block heaters as they do on VW's. There is a video on YouTube but it doesn't show any details or a link to the company.

If you google it Audi Q7 block heater there is a company that shows Audi Q7 Engine Heaters I don't know how the hell the ZEROSTART MAGNET-MOUNT ENGINE BLOCK HEATER is going to work. The other one may work but it doesn't actually say its for a Q7 but the link before does.

Other than that you dress the baby in thermals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've heard of people using heated blankets to keep blocks from freezing. That may help to keep the block a bit warmer. Or put a space heater in your garage to keep the whole car warm at night.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Magnetic engine heaters are a total waste of money. Way too much free air heat loss. Immersion heaters are best, but generally only available for trucks. Best compromise is a pan heater. When sized properly, they raise the engine oil temp to 125F and hold it there. Heat rising from the oil pan warms the coolant in the block. Bad part is that they use thermocouple design rather than thermostat. So to save electricity, put pan heaters on a timer. Set it to turn on 3-4 hours before you plan to use the car.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The Zerostart heaters are the best ones for warmth and overall effectiveness but it'll take a little more installation work. You have to splice into a coolant line. I haven't seen any off the shelf kits so you'd have to put one together by measuring/cutting coolant hoses and securing the heater somewhere in the engine bay at a low spot. (not on the engine because of vibration)

When they're plugged in, the electric heater heats the coolant which circulates through convection. After a few hours, the coolant has warmed the entire block including some oil. Instant heat, especially in a garage. Leave it on a timer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
ZeroStart and similar must go in lower heater hose, which might pose a clearance problem on a Q7. The intercooler runs take up a lot of space down there. Pan heaters are self-adhesive, and stick right to the oil pan itself. The 250W Wolverine for a Q7 TDI only requires a flat spot of 4.5"x 3.5", and a clear path to route the electric cord. No need to cut/splice perfectly healthy hoses either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All-

Thank you for taking the time to respond to a newbies post.
Apparently Audi did offer an engine Pre Heater that was plugged into a standard 110 garage outlet. I plan on giving the dealer a call tomorrow to inquire what it is and if it is possible to have put on our car. I will also continue to explore the aftermarket options.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Darren

·
Registered
147 Posts
My guess is that is will be a block heater. Inexpensive by themselves, but a crowded engine compartment makes them pricey to install

//greg//

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to bring this around for some closure. The dealer told me that they don't install the engine pre heater or steering wheel heating at the dealer. Those are factory only options. So I bought my wife a new pair of gloves and my kid a new snow suit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If he helps, the owner manual says - to speed up obtaining interior heat - put temp select to HI and zone to MONO. Personally I get faster results by pushing the front DEFROST button. That automatically engages HI, and has the added advantage of opening the defrost vents. With them open, there is less cold air blowing toward me from the vents, and it seems to warm up every bit as fast as going by the book. While I'm waiting for warm air from that source, the heated seats and steering wheel help a lot. Soon as I feel warm air coming from the vents, I push the AUTO climate control button - at which point the manually selected DEFROST reverts to the memorized setting.

Having said that, what works in Kentucky cold is almost certainly going to take longer in Minnesota cold.

//greg//

·
Registered
439 Posts
Babies are pretty robust little creatures. I doubt the wee one will turn into a popsicle. :) Just bundle the baby up as I'm sure you are and drive. Turn on the seat heater if you have them where the baby is. Tell the little one this could be his/her car one day so pay attention to everything about the rig. As for the heated blanket option. Forget on the engine. Wrap up the little one in it. No more popsicle. In the olden days my wife and I had 3 babies travelling in a cold car with us. A 2 year old boy and new born twin girls. They survived. Kind of like have you ever seen the skeleton of a cat in a tree ?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I'm currently an '05 allroad driver (lousy heater and A/C, both) but am planning on buying a Q7 TDI next quarter. I've been perusing AudiWorld forums and came across these three threads which might help. Sorry to zombie the thread, and the baby probably is old enough at this point to be fine!

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-discussion-112/aux-heater-problem-2878027/
http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-discussion-112/how-long-does-take-bring-your-car-standard-operating-temperature-2878174/page2/
http://audiforum.us/threads/parking-auxiliary-heater.11422/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thread resurrection I know...

Bu I read elsewhere that all q7 came with a webasto type heater.

There are 2 options, one has an extra valve to cutoff the engine coolant and only heat the cabin(factory option), the other type operates when the engine is on. Because the tdi is efficient it does not produce much heat so this is used to boost cabin heat. You cannot normally access it. However you can use VCDS to activate it. You can basically set 3 timers and the car will start the webasto about half an hour before. Should prolong the life of the engine aswell.

I am also int he market for a q7. And that is what i came up with my research.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts