VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a conversation today with the Parts Manager for an Audi store near me. He told me the following:

1.) They add 2.5 gallons of AdBlue/DEF at the Pre Delivery Inspection, aka PDI.

2.) They add 5 gallons at the 5,000 Service.

3.) As long as additions of AdBlue/DEF are made before the low AdBlue warning is illuminated in the instrument cluster, you can add as much AdBlue/DEF as the tank will allow; and it is not necessary to do an adaptation on the level sensor. If the low level warning is triggered, you will have to do an adaptation.

In other words, if you keep topping it off before the warning, you'll never have to do an adaptation.

I had somewhat surmised that from reading between the lines in the Audi literature, but was not sure until told this today.

Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Thanks, this was my guess as well.

At which adblue warning level does adaptation become required? The first one or second one? If there's still adblue in the tank but the countdown reached zero, does the car still run or not?

This does not seem smart since it ties most people to the dealer. If the car doesn't start it's not an oil service reminder that you can ignore. Is this going to be changed or they are happy with this?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, this was my guess as well.

At which adblue warning level does adaptation become required? The first one or second one? If there's still adblue in the tank but the countdown reached zero, does the car still run or not?

This does not seem smart since it ties most people to the dealer. If the car doesn't start it's not an oil service reminder that you can ignore. Is this going to be changed or they are happy with this?
First warning requires the adaptation. If the countdown goes to zero, it doesn't matter whether there's AdBlue in the tank or not - even full, it won't start.

I think the dealers love to have you tied to them. After all, they can charge $100+ to fill and adapt the AdBlue tank when the fluid cost is only about $20.

I plan to keep it topped off and try to stay away from any warnings. According to the Parts manager, this will work ad infinitum just as long as the warning doesn't get triggered.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is that legal to force you to go to the dealer for a service which is so frequent? There was a class action lawsuit over the near dealer monopoly on smart keys. It's not right to have only one official way of doing it which happens to involve being charged at the dealer and paying out the nose for parts and labor. If that is how the Touareg TDI does it, it would make me quickly forget them. Does anyone have details on the procedure? I have browsed club touareg too.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that legal to force you to go to the dealer for a service which is so frequent? There was a class action lawsuit over the near dealer monopoly on smart keys. It's not right to have only one official way of doing it which happens to involve being charged at the dealer and paying out the nose for parts and labor. If that is how the Touareg TDI does it, it would make me quickly forget them. Does anyone have details on the procedure? I have browsed club touareg too.
Audi's argument is that this dealer service requirement is to prevent tampering with such an important and expensive emissions system. Sounds like smoke being blown to me. Pun intended!:BS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts