VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Puzzled about DPF life

21K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  NitWit 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 127K miles. I keep reading about how to measure the load on the DPF with VAG-COM, which I have done. Here is the output:

17:09:27 Group 099: Diesel Particle Filter
828 /min Engine Speed (G28)
162.0°C Temperature prior Turbo Charger
126.0°C Temperature prior Particle Filter
114.0°C Temperature after Particle Filter

17:09:27 Group 108: Diesel Particle Filter
129 ml Particle Filter Oil Ash Volume
Particle Filter Carbon Mass (spec.)
Particle Filter Carbon Mass (act.)

17:09:27 Group 241: DPF Soot load
129 ml Particle Filter Oil Ash Volume
6.9 Soot Load(g) Calculated
0.0 Soot Load(g) Measured

So, it seems to me like the flow through the unit is okay, but I'm a bit concerned about the 129ml of "oil ash volume." This is way higher than any other references i've stumbled upon looking for specs.

This car is run mainly on the highway and has been meticulously maintained since new. What I'm searching for is the acceptable specifications for the DPF. So far, i've been unable to determine how many ML of "oil ash" it should hold before it's a problem. Regens seem to function frequently and normally, and the thing runs like a top. I'm hoping to soldier on to 200K with this car, but have to consider the high cost of DPF replacement as I make a decision to keep or replace.

Are there any published specs for this?

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

I'm not sure what buttons you clicked to find those figures from this is what I had from mine.

I'm sure these have been talked about before on here if you search.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

I'm not sure what buttons you clicked to find those figures from this is what I had from mine.

I'm sure these have been talked about before on here if you search.
Hello Keith,

Thanks for the reply. The output I are just the relevant service blocks read from VAG-COM. I've not been to the manual regen screen you included, but do believe that its the same data.

My real question isn't so much how to find the info, but what to make of it. I see that you're showing 9ml of oil ash. I'm showing 129ml. All of this is useless without a specification that indicates how much requires a replacment. If it "holds" 500ml of oil ash, I'll quit thinking about it. If it's 150ml, I need to start some planning. These specifications must exist somewhere.

I presume that I have more KM's on mine than you do yours. A little more than 202,000 now. That said, the difference in oil ash is quite a bit.

Thanks again for your comments.

Frank White

#6 ·
Surely if the sensors measure the increase in soot then it will force a DPF regen. The thing is with DPF vehicles you don't potter around locally they need to get hot to burn the soot off. My vehicle as 15k on the clock and its mainly used for local running but I do give it a blast up the motorway to burn the soot off.

#7 ·
Surely if the sensors measure the increase in soot then it will force a DPF regen. The thing is with DPF vehicles you don't potter around locally they need to get hot to burn the soot off. My vehicle as 15k on the clock and its mainly used for local running but I do give it a blast up the motorway to burn the soot off.
Yes. The the sensors do a regen as appropriate. This burns off the soot, which is stored in the filter as ash. At some point, the filter becomes clogged with ash and should be replaced. I can't imagine that there isn't a specification published that indicates how much ash the filter can store before becoming unsustainable.

My car is rarely running for less than one hour at a time, and regens the filter two or three times a week.

Anyway, I'm still seeking a specification that indicates when this thing is going to need to be replaced.

Thanks,

Frank White

#8 ·
Well if it does clog up then you get it removed and get a tuning company to disable the sensors. Obviously this will depend on your country. Thse DPF's are expensive I did a quick check on my and they are £1500.

If you want to read up on The catalytic coated diesel particulate filter

#15 · (Edited)
Keith,

Your graph refers to soot load, which is managed as indicated, with a limit of 45 grams, above which regeneration is not permitted due to danger of excess heat.

my question of a source is for the statement VWtech417 said, that states the DPF has to be replaced if the ash load is over 175 ml.

poster on another site is replacing his DPF after 300 ml indicated ash volume. (from 282,000 miles of happy driving)

#17 ·
Many years later...:

Address 01: Engine (04L 997 022 N)

11:42:33
IDE00433 Particle filter: oil ash volume 0.02 l
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated 21.35 g
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured 0.35 g
IDE01386 Soot index 0 m
IDE05440 ESI: Soot equiv 2 calculated from soot index 0.00000000
IDE06059 Particulate filter: oil ash mass 10.1 g
IDE06060 Particulate filter ash load limit 80.00 g

With the values listed is the standalone value for DPF replacement/cleaning at 80 g?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.