VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I was speaking to some truckers about puttong atf in there tanks to clean injecters does any body reccomeds this for 06jetta tdi
Not any more than I'd recommend putting some Diesel inside your transmission...

In the "old days" people did that for various reasons... the newest Diesels have much more sensitive nozzles in the injectors... If you feel as if the quality of fuel in your locale leaves something to be desired, use one of the approved lubricity enhancers... (Stanadyne, Power Service...)

BTW: you don't want to have to need your PD nozzles rebuilt...

Yuri

·
Registered
126 Posts
ATF is a rather complex fluid, it has to both be a lubricant to protect bearings, the pump... and a friction modifier to allow the friction discs to grab and transfer power. It is also loaded with detergents, surfactants, anti-wear additives, seal conditioners... Some unintended consequences may be swelling of the seals (o-rings), softening of the fuel hoses... It is the dose that makes the poison, so with a small dose you are likely not going to see any unintended consequences but if your fuel hoses are marginal, you may develop some leaks.

Without any real testing (HFRR standard) you really don't know if you are doing more harm than good. Many old timer tricks are not based in any real science or engineering. Like adding Marvel Mystery Oil as an injector lubricant, when tested against the HFRR standard it was found to reduce lubrication not improve it.

I would stick with the brand name injector cleaners, as they are both managing the liability of doing damage to tens of thousands of vehicles and providing a product that performs as advertised. Besides, with the current cost of ATF, the brand name injector cleaners are about the same price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts