VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a used jetta or golf TDI, someone told me that the pumpe duse cars are no good. I've been doing my research and it looks like the difference is the power and the oil that you must use. Is the engine really toast if you use the wrong oil? I also saw an add for a 2004 passat, I assume that this is the pumpe duse engine, it said that the oil was changed every 3000 miles, total mileage is about 45,000 miles. Is the engine bad? How can I check?

D

·
0 Posts
They are both about the same. The issue with the oil isn't that it gets dirty as much as it is the oil doesn't lubricate the cam-pumpe duse surface as well as VW spec approved oil.

The passat is good, but what price are they asking for it? With that low mileage, I am not sure if there would be excess wear on those few spots but I wouldn't be surprised if it's fine too.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Take a look through this:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/buyersguide.htm

If you're looking for the mk4 body style, then they are pretty much the same in use. The later cars have a little more power and you should expect a little less mileage. Manuals get better mileage than autos. The whole oil thing is a touchy subject. There are a lot of scaremongers who will tell you that your car will blow up if you use the wrong oil.

The fact is that you should use VW approved 505.01, 506.01, or 507.00. The price difference is minimal, it's got the additive package that the engineers designed for the car, and it will keep the warranty intact. It's also a fact that the car will work with non approved oil but for the above reasons, I don't recommend it. I give conservative recommendations and I don't know enough about the various oils to say that "x" oil is okay to use. I do know enough to say: why would you not use the approved oil?

The passat should be fine, it is a pumpe duse engine, all 5th gen passat tdis in the US were. 3000 miles is a short change interval, 10,000 miles is fine if you use a quality synthetic. The best car for you really depends on what your budget is and what kind of deal you can get on it. I'd say that over $20,000 is too much for the passat. Under $15,000 is a very good deal. Somewhere in between depends on the condition.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are asking 22,900. I was looking for a golf or jetta but if I can get a good deal on the passat I might be able to stretch for that.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I would pass on the passat about 20,000 is okay if it's in perfect shape and you really want it. But since you asked or the golf or jetta, I am guessing that it would be a stretch on the budget, so 17,000 would be a "good deal" price on that, depending on condition.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
If you can, try to get a later pre pumpe duse car, a 02 or 03. They have immobilizers, it's an anti theft device, and more safety features like traction and stability control and side air bags.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
If you can, try to get a later pre pumpe duse car, a 02 or 03. They have immobilizers, it's an anti theft device, and more safety features like traction and stability control and side air bags.
And the pump duse, are having problems with the cam lobes, that is the weakest link on these cars, I would stick with ALH engines, better MPG, my o2 cents.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
IMO, they are both about the same. Later cars had a little more power and they fixed some of the earlier problems. They also come with stability control. Earlier cars will get a little more mileage but not all have stability control or the immobilizer anti-theft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts