VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took the new '04 for its first long drive since we got it and I did the TB. It drove well, but I noticed a pulsing vibration in the clutch pedal at idle in N if I just apply light pressure to the pedal. Pulsing goes away with pedal fully depressed, but some vibration is still present. Clutch operation is fine. Does this sound like a release/TO bearing? How does the clutch arrangement compare with an A2? Other things to check?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Pulsing is normal. Every TDI that I've ever driven has pulsing but you say that there is still some vibration with the pedal all the way done. If it's not the pulsing you feel halfway there could be something wrong but I wouldn't bother checking it until it gets more noticeable because you said clutch operation is fine. You said some vibration is present, is it bad and is it more steady?

Clutch uses a hydraulic master and slave cylinder, no cable and no adjustments anywhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulsing is normal. Every TDI that I've ever driven has pulsing but you say that there is still some vibration with the pedal all the way done. If it's not the pulsing you feel halfway there could be something wrong but I wouldn't bother checking it until it gets more noticeable because you said clutch operation is fine. You said some vibration is present, is it bad and is it more steady?

Clutch uses a hydraulic master and slave cylinder, no cable and no adjustments anywhere.
Thanks, I hadn't heard the pulsing mentioned before, so was concerned it might be the DMF coming apart. So is this pulsing a result of the DMF and light flywheel mass? I haven't encountered it before in other vehicles like my A2 Jettas (cable clutch) or Vanagons (hydraulic). I will monitor things carefully and check that things don't get worse.

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
I've reported the same problem before Clutch pedal pulsating/vibrating I'm not convinced its normal. If its normal then they all should do it not just some of them. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. I suppose the clutch is the most direct contact with the drivetrain (since the shifter cables must absorb some vibration), so this is why I'm feeling it. Still, I would expect my '88 Westy with hydraulic clutch and much less smooth 1.6TD would exhibit some vibration in the clutch, and it shows none - the clutch is smooth as silk.

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
Whats a Westy tdwesty? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I would have thought that the pressure plate springs are probably imperfect causing a slight vibration on rotation of the flywheel which would dissappear when you press the clutch pedal because the release bearing would force the springs all in line. Or something. Anyway I wouldn't care about it unless it changed dramatically all of a sudden.

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
I would have thought that the pressure plate springs are probably imperfect causing a slight vibration on rotation of the flywheel which would dissappear when you press the clutch pedal because the release bearing would force the springs all in line.
Thats what I thought so they fitted a new clutch under warranty and it still does it. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
"Thats what I thought so they fitted a new clutch under warranty and it still does it."

Yeah, I would expect new ones would be just the same unless they're made by nasa lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
Mine also pulses until I pull the floor mat back and get the pedal all the way down.
That shouldn't make any difference as it only pulses to top couple of inches of travel. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I would have thought that the pressure plate springs are probably imperfect causing a slight vibration on rotation of the flywheel which would dissappear when you press the clutch pedal because the release bearing would force the springs all in line. Or something. Anyway I wouldn't care about it unless it changed dramatically all of a sudden.
After posting this I checked mine today and have no pulsing but then remembered I have a hydrolic clutch.:D

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
Yes the Golf has an hydraulic clutch as well.

If it was a cable clutch then you would say the cable is resting on the engine then as you press the clutch it moves off the engine.

What do you actually drive Seatman? There is nothing in your signature or spec. Only your username says Seat, we don't know where you are from either. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi KeithUK, I drive a Seat Cordoba Vario 1.9tdi 90bhp on a 2000 plate with the AGR engine. I'll have to sort out my avatar and info lol. I'm still fairly new to the forums.

It dawned on me also, that having a hydrolic cluctch would make no odds because if you have a brake problem, you tend to feel it through the pedal anyway. Doh!

·
Registered
2 Posts
clutch master cylinder

You guys sound knowledgeable and I've just joined, hoping to get some help for a friend of mine. She's got a 2004 Jetta tdi with a failing clutch. I've noticed a small amount of brake fluid on the cabin side of the firewall and am fairly sure she needs a new master cylinder for the clutch. It appears I've just got to yank the MAF coupling apart and then remove the entire housing for the engine's air filter. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts