VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/the-monitors-view/2009/1223/Obama-s-smart-pick-for-cyber-czar-Howard-Schmidt

Being in the computer industry I have to say he won me over with that pick.

Howard Schmidt knows his stuff and is well respected among Computer Security professionals. He was an elite hacker in his earlier days and grew up like many of us have and realized that the same diligence he used to attack networks should be used to defend them.

I am a registered Republican and even though I hate what is going on with the deficit, stimulus package and health care reform this choice gives me hope that things can be turned around. We need standardization and mechanisms to protect our networks and the data on our networks.

State sponsored cyber attacks and mafia type organizations are generating Billions of dollars in losses each year. That is money we could be spending on Medicare and and help to the unemployed.

This appointment reminds me of when Clinton took office and Bill Gates said the 'Internet is a passing fad' and the Clinton administration made some good choices and opened everything up allowing for the Dot.com boom and bust of the 90s generating a budget surplus.

·
Registered
31 Posts
"mafia type organizations"? Don't you mean a pimply faced kid in his parent's basement! "On Tuesday, the Wall Street Journal reported that the FBI is investigating a hacking into Citigroup Inc. that resulted in the theft of tens of millions of dollars – supposedly by Russian criminals." This is the only real thing that scares me. Going to the ATM and being surprised by a 0 balance on all accounts.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The bank will cover you if you have been defrauded. I feel the bigger threat is being robbed at the ATM.

Don't forget that billions are also lost through the medicare system through fraud. I saw a piece on the news about overnight shops which bill medicare for millions in emergency medical supplies, get the money, and then vanish when medicare follows up and investigates.

Oh, and I took an extra coffee mug from the workplace once ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can tell you how the billions are being lost.

The power outage in 2003 is believe to be caused by hackers
The Amtrack computer outage 2 years ago over Christmas
The recent FAA computer outages that caused delays for weeks
Whole retail chains are being knocked offline for days losing millions (no mechanical registers anymore)
The Maryland DMV was hacked thats why MD residents are getting calls for Extended warranty offers

These are just some of the ways money is disappearing. Medical fraud, student loans, government backed loans are also some of the way money is disappearing. It is too easy to create multiple accounts and hack the systems. We have even seen election fraud in some areas. This is all the known unclassified stuff. There is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bank will cover you if you have been defrauded.
Credit Card companies will. Banks are a different story if your Pin gets out there with a cloned card you are in trouble. Good luck getting your money back. The ole Nigerian Scam variant is still there where they ask for your account number and routing number to make a deposit and then sweep everything out and when the bank goes to retrieve it they can't because the account on the other end is closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts