VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, I've had my 2dr DSG Golf TDI for about 10 weeks and 2000 miles now and wanted to post my observations. My other car is a 2006 Audi A4 Avant 6MT with the 2.0t direct-injection gasoline engine.

Pros:

I love the Golf, would recommend it (if you can find it) and for the time being prefer driving it over the Audi - certainly on the 2 x 50 mi daily commute. This may be the blush of the bride, but I like the small point and shoot character of the TDI. It has ample power, steers beautifully, and has a nice driving position with good seats. The leather wheel and shifter are a pleasure to hold. The electronics, layout and fitment of the interior are all excellent. I am averaging 38 mpg with some 75-80 mph highway travel and some more moderate 55-65 back road travel.

Cons:

In general, the suspension- though highly competent on most surfaces - is noticeably less compliant over speed bumps and when cornering at speed on bumpy roads. It does not swallow up the road in the same manner as the Audi, which may have something to do with the "performance" suspension, but probably has more to do with the overall quality and design of the "fahrwerk".

The DSG, at least in combination with the diesel motor, takes a little getting used to. The DSG begins to motivate the car off the line as soon as the foot is off the brake, but unless you are in sport mode, you are better advised to mind the tip-in and wait until the clutch has engaged fully before heaving on the gas or you might get a jerky launch. This is not a big deal, but as with holding back on high-speed cornering on rough roads (above) it is another thing you have to bear in mind while driving when you'd rather the pony just did whatever was asked of it. After the car has tipped in, it will take power confidently.

The car also seems to have some trouble dealing with hilly terrain where, when going downhill, the car is pushing the drivetrain. The reaction from the car is disturbingly jerky. I am not sure whether to blame this on the DSG or on the engine. Of the three items mentioned, this is perhaps the most annoying.

Other than that, I have some problems with rear view when backing, which I heard might be a problem on the 4-door, but was not supposed to be an issue with the 2 door.

All-in-all, I am delighted with the car, which is comfortable, safe, economical and fun to drive.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Thanks for the review. I believe that the Audi A4 soaks up the road different because of the front multi link suspension too. Wheel and tire choice can also really change ride feel and response.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the review. I believe that the Audi A4 soaks up the road different because of the front multi link suspension too. Wheel and tire choice can also really change ride feel and response.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the 1000 extra pounds of metal?

------

Thank you for the review! I look forward to adding my own opinion soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seattle, you are 65% right about the weight. Difference is 3040 for the TDI vs. 3685 for the B7 Avant. Chitty is right about the multi-link front on the A4. He is also on target regarding the tires. Tires on the A4 are 16/55 and those on the TDI are 17/45, which is the same profile as those on my wife's 328xi Coupe (runflats too by the way), which bangs like a cannon shot if you hit even a small bump.

All these cars are different and excellent in their own way, just as people's tastes are different. As enthusiasts, we just like to understand and appreciate the differences, which is why these forums are so nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts