VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not with the timing belt but with turning the engine :)
Just changed the timing belt, cylinder head swop, new valves. Seemed all ok but very cold in my garage.
Did the test turning the crankshaft 2 turns by hand after fitting new belt. but wouldn't turn after about 200° (I didn't force it). Turning it back - it only went about 180° back. So now it moves freely between about 20° to 200°. but not more
Rockers not yet tightened down onto top of valves so valves can't be going into pistons (much ;-) )
I double checked everything when assembling, but somehow I must have done something wrong.
This kind of thing doesn't make one feel good :-(

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated...
Pete

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
According to my manual, if the camshaft cog is round, the crankshaft arrow should be lined up to where the red mark is in photo, if oval then it should lined up with the arrow on locking tool.
I measured my camshaft cog very carefully and it is definitely round. I had lined up to the red mark and got the problem above. Now I tried it as shown in photo, and the crankshaft with timing belt on (so also camshaft) rotate the 2 test turns without problems.
Anybody got anything to add? Would help to get some backing / opinions before everything is together and I try starting it and mankle the engine up completely ....
Pretty please...?

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Rim Gas

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might want to verify your crankshaft is at TDC for cylinder #1. The cam lobes should be off of the followers on the same cylinder and the timing marks on the cam pulleys should match the position indicated in the service manual.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
This is absolutely the issue of everything went together correctly. Pull the glow plugs and then try to rotate the engine. That'll relieve compression and then you should be able to turn the engine over fairly effortlessly.

Triple check every thing! After pulling the glow plugs stick something long I'm the number one cylinder and ensure that either way you turn the crank it goes down. Again what engine? Is the fuel pump in the correct position?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything was correct except a misreading (mistake!) of erwin ;-) Thank you all for your help!!!!!
It claims very misleadingly that vehicles with an "oval toothed camshaft pulley" should, in effect, use the red dot aligned with the arrow on crankshaft, vehicles with a round one should use the tool as set and shown above.
But actually what it should say is "oval-toothed crankshaft pulley" (not an oval pulley but a pulley with oval teeth) - and the other pulley anyway. Once this mistake is corrected, there seems to be little problems :)
(Although there are other serious problems, but that's on other posts)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts