VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if I decide to repair my vehicle with new cam, lifters, bearings, and so on.... will this solve the issue of excessive wear, or will this problem only occur again? I am thinking, if I go with more frequent oil changes and use a heavier weight oil, this should prevent further damage in the future? HELP!!!! Let me know if this seems valid. Maybe looking at a new 11 jetta, worst case.:dunno

·
Registered
482 Posts
From what I've read 5w-40 should help fix it. Franko6 says that you have to drill holes in the bearing caps to increase oiling. You should be able to find his profile if you search, I can't find his profile.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, if I decide to repair my vehicle with new cam, lifters, bearings, and so on.... will this solve the issue of excessive wear, or will this problem only occur again? I am thinking, if I go with more frequent oil changes and use a heavier weight oil, this should prevent further damage in the future? HELP!!!! Let me know if this seems valid. Maybe looking at a new 11 jetta, worst case.:dunno
From a financial viewpoint it's almost always worth it to pay for a repair instead of pay another car payment.my two cents

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hope it fixed the problem. Frank06 is great to do business with. After my 'deluxe' timing belt change I picked up loads of HP, seat of the pants feel, and with summer fuel I was up to 45 MPG driving like an idiot. Deluxe timing belt change is Colt stage 2 cam, cam followers, one use only bolts, custom bearings, accessory belt, timing belt, coolant, pump, tensioner, specialty tools for the job, Joe Gibbs breakin oil, oil filters, two week ends. Frank can set you up with everything.

Have fun

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to 3 different mechanics at 2 dealers. They claim the problem is in the design of the head and simply enlarging the holes in the journals is not going to fix the problem. When I told the guy that I had 153k on the engine, he laughed and said how the hell did you get so many miles out of it. They claim that most of the cars with the pumpduse engines are comming in around 68 - 100k. I cannot justify spending the money on something they claim is only going to become a problem again. VW really screwed up and the only reason I think they have not done anything about it is because their are not enough vehicles out their with significant mileage to warrant a campaign for recall. It seems as though VW is taking the stand of gambling on customers trading in their vehicles before this becomes a significant problem. It was only until my sister, whom owns a 2009 Jetta TDI, hinted to VW corporate with a possible class-action lawsuit of owners of pump-duse vehicles, did they change there tune and suddenly want to cut a deal.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
The problem is with the oil, the 5w-30 was too light of an oil for the kinds of pressures that are created on the cam due to the fuel injectors being driven off the car also. I got 160,000 on the original cam in our car, and i've only owned the car for the last 6,000 miles or so. The car was serviced at VW before that and you and i both know that they were using the ****ty 5w-30 in it. Replace your camshaft and bearings, and wouldn't hurt to do your timming belt at the same thime, and start running a high quality oil such as 5w-40 european car formula from amsoil. Its a bit pricey but the quality is there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, I pimped out and traded the car in for a new 2011 tdi Jetta sedan. Actually I couldn't believe the dealer gave me 8500 for the trade in. Anyway, my point is, the car is no longer my problem. Hopefully the new one will be problem free. Thanks for everyones input on the matter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts