VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I totally hate dealers around me...they mark up the price by 700 dollars...and this one dealer did it by 900 dollars.....

So far...the cheapest I can find is a 4dr, dsg auto, bix's hids, sunroof...for 26, 394 plus taxes....

Ridicioulous lol

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Since you mentioned bixenons I assume you must be looking for a Golf TDI. While I would never pay over MSRP for any car, it'll be hard to find a good deal while demand is high. Why should they sell you a car if someone else is willing to pay more for it?

Someone suggested Costco auto buying service and many have had success with Chris at Farnham VW in PA. Right now is a bad time for dealers since most people are occupied with other things. They also raised production of the TDI but don't expect it to ease supply for a while. If you wait until spring it should be easier to find what you want. And if you can save $800 off the price of a car by driving a few hours to a farther dealer, I think that would be worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FWIW, the best deal I could find in Chicago for our TDI Sportwagen was halfway between invoice and MSRP. I've heard of folks paying higher than MSRP in some parts of the country; the Sportwagens are in high demand right now, so as buyers we have little leverage to negotiate.

Waiting till the supply/demand balance eases a bit should help, but then again this year's tax incentives may make up for the higher prices (the $1700 tax credit should be around a little longer, but the sales tax deduction for car purchases is only for 2009 AFAIK). The $1700 we paid in sales tax should yield about $600 in tax savings for our tax bracket, so that pretty much covers the dealer mark-up.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
many have had success with Chris at Farnham VW in PA. Right now is a bad time for dealers since most people are occupied with other things. They also raised production of the TDI but don't expect it to ease supply for a while. If you wait until spring it should be easier to find what you want. And if you can save $800 off the price of a car by driving a few hours to a farther dealer, I think that would be worth it.
His name is Chris Farnham and the dealer is VW of Langhorne PA

·
Registered
135 Posts
anything MSRP + $1000 sounds like a reasonable list price, from what I've seen and heard. Remember that mark up is negotiable and up to you and your negotiating skills to get it down as low as you can. Of course most people are horrible at negotiating so, good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You'll read online about people claiming to get JSWs for $1000 below invoice. There are three possibilities:

1) they are lying through their teeth
2) they don't understand the difference between "invoice" and "MSRP"
3) they got reamed on their trade-in

I started asking some of these folks to post their sales contract, but big surprise, none of them responded and frankly I don't care a whole lot.

I paid approx. $100 below MSRP and got the dealer to move up about $700 from his original offer on my trade-in. Without that second number my deal is meaningless for comparison purposes.

-dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
2010 Golf TDI

I've found Dealers asking for 1000, 2500, 3900, and 3500 over MSRP in central CA.

One offered MSRP, the one with the 3500 over I negotiated down to 1000 over before saying no thanks.

I think it's safe to say that as of now (January) you're not going to find anything under MSRP.

I'm waiting for the increased supply to hit in the next few months. My goal will be to get one for just over invoice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gov't tax breaks as buying incentives ending

Seems VW dealers have been able to get $$$$$ over MSRP because of the $1300 tax credit and for some the deduction of sales taxes paid.

Now that these incentives are gearing down, I am waiting for what the dealers will do minus these deductions.

My guess is the pace of sales for a TDI will slow down a bit and dealers will have to work harder to make a sale.

I'll wait and see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts