VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of paying a premium to buy diesel fuel. It's not fair and makes no sense! How do we start a campaign to lobby for lower diesel fuel costs!?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About $4.20 in upstate NY. Just got back from Quebec. Lots of TDIs around! Diesel going for 25 cents less per gallon than regular.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The diesel premium is insane! Why penalize drivers for saving gas!?

The diesel premium on trucks makes no sense either. The truckers just pass the extra cost along to consumers. It just amounts to a hidden VAT tax.

Who's gonna start the campaign to lower the price of diesel?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
There's only a couple of ways to change the price of a commodity like diesel: (1) reduce demand, (2) increase supply.

Then there's the proposed solution of lobbying, which implies government action. Price controls and fuel don't have a favorable history.

Be happy with your $4.09/gal diesel. You could be buying jet fuel at the current price of $6/gal.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
You could also live in the UK and then you'd be well pissed off, we're about £1.40 per litre which must be about $2.60 ish per litre plus road tax for crap roads.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This probably isn't the place for politics, but Obama has proposed fuel economy levels in the 50+ mpg range. Diesels are already capable of that. Why not encourage their purchase?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
This probably isn't the place for politics, but Obama has proposed fuel economy levels in the 50+ mpg range. Diesels are already capable of that. Why not encourage their purchase?
If diesels make economic sense, why does government need to "encourage their purchase"? Given that Obama rides around in a 4-ton limo and a 400-ton jet, I don't think he needs to be advocating for fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If diesels make economic sense, why does government need to "encourage their purchase"? Given that Obama rides around in a 4-ton limo and a 400-ton jet, I don't think he needs to be advocating for fuel efficiency.
I'm happy that I got a $650 tax credit for buying my car...thanks to the "evil" government. Not sure how the fact that the president of the US has a limo and a jet disqualifies him from making good policy for the country.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
A lot of the price are extra taxes focused primarily on big trucks hauling all of the goods around. They stress the road much more than our little cars. The price difference has never been enough that I am no longer coming out ahead with diesel. For a while (few weeks this past winter) it was actually cheaper than 87 octane gasoline.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Diesel in Ireland is about €1.41 per litre or $2.01 a litre which is about $9.12 a gallon plus €582.00 or $830.00 road tax for a 1.9 plus astronomical insurance sometimes thousands for young drivers, expensive parts and mostly poor uneven roads. Want to swap???

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think matters of national security would let him have a choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe about 36 percent of u.s. gasoline comes from domestic sources. I don't think Europe has any domestic sources.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts