VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

today when turning the wheel i started hearing a squeaking noise, similar to the one when you turn the wheel hard over and keep holding. This one though is only when the car is stopped and is a bit stronger. Later today i heard a regular rattling, regular noise coming from under the hood. The noise regularity and sound changes when i turn the wheel. When opened the hood i felt like it was coming from the belts and noticed the sepantine tensioner belt was vibrating and moving 3 - 4mm up and down.
I am not experienced in this, read few articles here, but dont know what to think. Is it a worn out belt or tensioner, dont even want to thing about steering pump or the other major element (forgot its name) Otherwise when underway everything is fine, no noise or difference in the steering compared to before.
The car is 144000km and i was just about to get and apointment for timing belt, water pump and the two auxiliary belts change.
Please tell me your opinions what to do. My real hope is this to be a loose and worn out serpantine belt, so just a change would solve the problem, but what about the tensioner? :dunno

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
The common things are the tensioner itself and the clutched pulley on the alternator, they're supposed to go one way only but occasionally they sieze up and can cause the bouncing tensioner. If you can take off the serp belt and hold the fins in the alternator with a piece of wood or something then see if the pulley turns one way and not the other otherwise most likely culprit is the tensioner.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

thanks! Your words make a lot of sense to me as the car was not driven for 2 weeks as i was away to Europe. So they might have seized. Will check what you ask me tomorrow morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts