VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change my power steering fluid,My mecano used regular power steering I know it is a big no no,,, I have looked for a write up on how to.. can not find it, anybody chime in, on this,, and if someone could tell me how to flush the old power steering fluid out of there,, I know where the reservoir is,,, thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
the easiest way is to take a turkey baster and suck it out of the reservoir. Fill it back up, drive around in circles or hold the steering wheel all the way left or right, then suck the fluid out again. Do this 2 or 3 times and almost all the old fluid is out. You can also go underneath and pull the hose off the power steering cooling loop at the front of the car. Let it drain by gravity and then fill it back up. The problem is that you have to let the new fluid drain back in. If you hear a growling sound, the PS is dry, let the new fluid drip back in.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
The one thing I would caution is to avoid letting air get into the power steering fluid. The gears and stuff inside the rack and pump are lubricated by the PS fluid. You don't want foaming of the engine oil and you don't want foaming of the PS fluid either because the air bubbles don't lubricate. The grinding noise is the parts rubbing, I would only start the car and turn the wheel for short periods to avoid letting air in. If it happens for a second, it won't kill the system but if you let it go on for a while it can cause excess wear.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
i'm not sure you can remove the loop underneath the car, I would just use the turkey baster method.

some more notes:

PS fluid level should be at min when the engine is cold, it should be between max and min when the engine is hot.

PS fluid type is G 002 000 hydraulic oil, fluid capacity is .7L-.9L, using turkey baster method you need some more.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS fluid type is G 002 000 hydraulic oil, fluid capacity is .7L-.9L, using turkey baster method you need some more.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking of maybe using the pela extractor which I already have, will work too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts