VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

power loss on hills?

10K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  noham 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Trouble shooting limp mode

I just purchased a 2003 jetta tdi. When I test drove it in town and on the highway it ran fine. But on the way home, after I purchased it, it has very little power going up hills. What could be the problem? The turbo make a "sshhhh" sound instead of a whistle. Ok, I'm in trouble shooting mode, with a P0299 code and I'm checking for leaks in the intake and vacume systems. I'm afraid the turbo is going to have to be removed and inspected. Can I do this In my driveway or should I send it to a shop?

#2 ·
You are getting limp mode. Here's how to fix it: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/limpmodetdi.htm First scan for error codes and do the tests to narrow down the source. It could be many things and without more details I could only make a total guess. Go step by step and follow the article to narrow it down. First scan for error codes, many auto parts stores will do this for free.

#3 ·
You didn't say if turning the ignition on-off reset it. If it's just low power it's probably a bad MAF. If you bought it from a dealer they should fix it. If you bought it private party it's as is. Bad MAFs are very common. If it's manual, don't expect to go up a steep hill in fifth gear and expect lots of power either.

#4 ·
code p0299 turbo under boost

You are getting limp mode. Here's how to fix it: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/limpmodetdi.htm First scan for error codes and do the tests to narrow down the source. It could be many things and without more details I could only make a total guess. Go step by step and follow the article to narrow it down. First scan for error codes, many auto parts stores will do this for free.
got code P0299 super charger under boost. I'm going to check for leaky hoses. I'm affraid I mat have to remove the turbo and clear vanes.

#6 ·
Hissing sound when accelerating

Hi, new to the group, have a 2004 Jetta TDI, and lately have been hearing a hissing sound when accelerating! Saw the check engine light on, and went to Autozone, code was P0299. Now the light is gone, and the hissing sound still exists. I suspect that there is an air leak somewhere, so I raised the car and looked underneath, Is there anybody who has had this situation? Shri

#9 ·
I had a similar thing, I replaced all my vacuum lines and checked the proper orientation of the check valves and no more turbo under boost code P0299 and more power than I thought it ever had. (I had previously cleaned the intake too).

I was contemplating a turbo teardown myself but following the sage advice on this forum I looked at the easy things first and it turned out to be one of them.

If you can get under the car and work the turbo actuator (14mm wrench works well or you can do it with your fingers if you have thick skin) if the actuator arm moves an inch or so, you should be ok. There's a fairly strong spring in the actuator control which you are fighting but it should still move an inch or so, if you can do that then it's probably not the vanes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.