VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody! Newbie here with a 2006 Jetta TDI pkg 2. My problem started about two weeks after I bought the car (used) from a reputable Saab dealer in New London, CT. At the time it had 85k on it. Now it's at 101k and the drivers power seat moves up and down completely sporadically and on its own with no warning at all. In the beginning it would only do this once every several days. Now it does it every time I drive it. Usually don't have to go more that 10 minutes or so and up & down I go. Thankfully it only "tilts" the part of of the seat that your butt is on and not the back rest portion. Also it DOES NOT move forward and backward...only up and down.

What the hell is causing this??? Before I start shotgunning parts into it or going to a stealership i wanted to get as many of your opinions as possible. Thanks for any help!!

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Are you sure it didn't come with the butt massage option? :dunno

When that starts to happen then press swithc that controls your seat for "but option" in one direction and see what happens. If the seat continues to go in the opposite direction then you have somewhere short to positive in the wiring between the seat swithc and ccm. If not, then it is just intermittently lose connection in the switch. What you can do is adjust it the way you like and just cut one of the wires that go to that particular swithc for now until you get the new one, or you find the swithc on the junk yard. (It doesn't have to be from the 06 models maybe older models use the same type of the switch).

good luck! Al

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does happen, when it starts to move on its own, I can move the "butt switch" and it still moves in the direction it wants to. It always seems to want to end up at a center position when it finally stops. It will move itself up and down in short or long spurts and when it stops, it seems to be somewhere in the middle. Should I just replace the switch??

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
What I would do is adjust it the seat the way you like and then disconnect the connector for that switch. If it stills continues to move by itself then as I said you have somewhere short to positive before the switch. So just disconnect the connector since this is not something that you have to adjust every day. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,339 Posts
This FAQ-Wiki link is no good. Where can I find the "How to repair a failing power seat switch on VW or Audi" article?
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well... thanks for the reply... I guess.

A. I previously searched the "restored" FAQ-Wiki and it appears that "How to repair a failing power seat switch on VW or Audi" was not resurrected.

B. I understand your frustration. This new site layout does suck. It is sad that this valuable TDI resource will likely disappear.

C. Sorry I didn't follow your rules. I'm used to active technical communities' mailing lists where it is preferable that messages are succinct and pointing out small technical errors is seen as helpful.

D. I paid for the lifetime membership, and access to premium content years ago, so even though that was my first forum post, I'm not really looking to get something for free, just looking for what I already paid to see.

E. This is exactly why I do not use forums. I just wasted an hour of my day on something this stupid. Yeah, you're right, I probably won't be back.

Have a nice day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts