VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I changed the timing belt today on my 06 TDI BRM with 192K. It was my first time changing the belt on the VW but I’ve changed timing belts many times on other vehicles. I followed the instructions from Exo VCDS on YouTube.

I used the proper cam lock and crank lock and am very confident that nothing moved when doing the job. I did have to loosen the 3 cam pulley bolts to get the crank locking tool into position once I had the cam pin fully inserted. I moved it at most about a half a tooth, I assumed this was off slightly due to belt stretch. I had to go back and forth a few times to get the cam pin positioned correctly. I retightened the cam bolts after putting on the new belt.
I was able to get everything back together without issue, started it up in neutral while it was still on Jack stands and all seemed fine after an initial back fire. I revved it to about 3-4K all seemed good.

But when I took it for a test drive I am getting surging when at about 3k rpm. I’m not getting any error codes.

I was thinking that it has something to do with loosening the cam bolts to get everything to line up? Any advice on what to try would be appreciated. I don’t have VCDS.

All the best,
Revvik

·
Super Moderator
8,965 Posts
As I posted in your intro:

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes but no comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

TDI Timing Belts App covers BRM.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 01/2005-04/2007, Model: Jetta, Engine Code: BRM, 74Kw, 103PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Canada ("CDN") USA ("USA"): Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD) Timing belt

To confirm any error codes.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

As generic scanners give false results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not following your response to my question...appreciate the site though!

The issue ended up being a stupid mistake on my part, not related to the timing belt itself. I didn’t correctly re-attach the upper inter cooler hose and it worked it’s way loose allowing too much air to enter. Now that the hose is properly attached all seems good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts