VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a slow leak for a WHILE, emphasis on "while". Or is it wile? I dont know, but what I do know is that I think I pinpointed the leak to the valve cover. What I noticed was that two of the thirteen brilliant torx screws on the back by the turbo and intake where a bit loose. At least loose enough to tighten them a bit with torx screwdriver -.-

I was thinking about buying some oil dye at work and inspecting it with a black light, but Im almost certain it is that because when I look at it after driving it looks like it has fresh oil coming out. I had a VW mechanic look at the turbo lines and he said they are not leaking. I would like to Inspect them myself but dont know how. Any suggestions?

Ever since the dealer changed my engine, and transmission I have had nothing but problems. One of the techs said I could have a possible egr valve oil leak and I laughed at him. I dont think and egr valve leaks oil unless this is a special car. Either way I would like to change out the valve cover gasket, my friend printed me out some instructions from AllData and it says to torque down the screws 10nm, and also mentions something about dry matting? Does anyone have any personal experience with this fix?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It was a very common problem, just don't kill the valve cover bolts, just tighten them.

You can reuse the gasket, don't know what dry matting is but if you take the gasket off completely, add a dab of non hardening gasketmaker like permatex ultra grey on the corners at the cam.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to clean it first from the bottom up. There is oil and gunk everywhere. I have the new gasket I bought it a while back just never changed it. I am assuming it wont trigger an engine condition since its just the cover. As for the the permatex, do you think I should just put it all around the gasket or just the four corners?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I wouldn't put it around all the gasket, not really the corners, just the corners of the cam hump where the valve is no longer flat. Check out the camshaft inspection article in FAQ for pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts