VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting for a week in my snowed in driveway, my 02 jetta stopped displaying the CEL/Flashing G.P.(Code P1562). I'm still having the "Shudder", however. This got me thinking. Could my oil blowing EGR be sending faulty info to the computer. Or maybe I have a loose/bad ground somewhere. Could this be an electrical gremlin instead of the I.P.? I am willing to have the I.P. rebuilt, but only if it needs it. Does any of this seem legit?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the EGR has any sensors on it. Oil blowing from it won't change anything. But isn't that code for the IP? Maybe you have a bad ground, as long as the car drives I would try to fix it and look for a solution because a rebuild is expensive plus the timing belt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The EGR may not have any sensors, just guessing. The car runs okay but shudders sometimes when stopped. According to posts on tdiclub, an I.P. rebuild does not always fix the problem or fix the CEL(P1562). This tells me it could be something else. Is their a list of all grounding points? I cleaned and put dielectric grease in all the connectors I could see. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just another thought. If the EGR can throw a code (CEL), it has to have some kind of sensor, right?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The EGR on your car does not have any sensor. Neither does the VNT actuator. They both work on pressure or vacuum to move a spring loaded valve. The car's computer figures out if they are working or not based on other sensors.

If the spring loaded valve gets stuck then it doesn't return to the original position and if it's not too far out of spec it won't trip a code. It sometimes does.

There are ground points under the battery, along the firewall, and along the engine wire harness.

I saw your post elsewhere where you said the headlights flicker. Although I don't think it's the cause of a bad IP, it could be another problem related to electrical. You could have a bad alternator pulley - try removing the serpentine belt and using a thin wood dowel to hold the alternator fans inside the alternator. Then turn the pulley by hand. It should freewheel in 1 direction and catch the other direction. If there is any slipping in the other direction replace the pully. You mention electrical gremlins, maybe it's related to low voltage?

Another idea is putting all diesel purge into the IP. Remove the feed and return lines at the fuel filter . Stick them into a can of diesel purge, keeping the ends submerged. Run the car until it's almost empty. Let it sit for a while with the diesel purge in the fuel system and then start it. Clear the code and see if it comes/back makes a difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much on the reply. I will check the alt pulley. I had the battery /alt checked at a starter/alt shop, everything checked okay. The flickering radio and headlights after cold startup still has me puzzled. I thought that an electrical problem of some type could be throwing the CEL in error. I did a diesel purge about 2 months ago, had the code reset, the code came back. The strange thing is, after the car sat for a week in the snow, the code is now gone. I'll try to check all the grounds I can find, and check the pulley. Maybe the code is gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts