VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock Monsoon radio and antenna in my 2003 Jetta. Recently bought the so I don't know all the history. CD's and cassettes sound great but the AM and FM radio reception is poor; sound quality when using radio is also poor. Any suggestions to improve the reception.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I've heard this complaint before but I've never noticed it. The radio uses a diversity antenna so it should already be pretty good. Does your car have window tint? Dyed tint won't interfere with radio but metallic tint will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No tint

The windows are stock so they only have what ever tint was stock. The antenna is on top of the car at the rear of the roof. What would the tint have to do with the reception?

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Aren't vehicles with the antenna on the roof for radios with Sat Nav, does your have a Sat Nav radio?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radio

I'm not sure. I listen to the same stations as my other car which does not have Sat Radio. How does one tell if you have the sat radio?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I could be wrong but i thought there was a cleaning procedure for the antena or something.
Might be mentioned in the owners manual under schedule mx. Not sure if this will help you or not but worth a look at.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You don't have sat radio from the factory. Metallic tint has metal particles in it. It kills AM pretty badly and slightly reduces FM depending on the brand of tint.

Try unscrewing the antenna rod and checking for corrosion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts