VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to everyone,

I am Ryan from Malta and I have a 2004 VW Touran with BKC engine (1.9 PD). I bought the car used, with 38000miles on it. I have recently removed the EGR, as the EGR cooler was leaking and i got a remap to disable the EGR error code whilst increasing my car performance.

Car drives great and is powerful and starts as it should but my fuel consumption is very poor, i.e. 22mpg in city driving.

I have VCDS and I would be really greatful if someone could help me diagnose my problem.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If the reamp was done correctly the egr delete should not have made a difference. Was the difference related to before-after the remap? The EGR cooler does improve fuel economy because it helps warm up the engine but Malta should be warm enough that the difference should be very little.

Other things that could cause low fuel economy: tires, sticking parking brake, bad fuel, driving style, load. If you're heavily overfueling than black soot around the tailpipe is often visible.

If you carry a heavy load in your Touran, for short trips in the city, 22 mpg is bad but not unreasonable. Under 28-30 mpg for sure.

Timing could also have an effect, the PD engines have camshaft wear but there should be other symptoms of that. If you check for any error codes that would make a difference too.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi chitty,
thanks for trying to help.
P
fuel consumption was not altered by the remap.
I have no error codes.

Do you think I should have a look at the camshaft?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts