VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been deep diving into diesel car options in the US for the past couple weeks now. Obviously you all here know that pickings are slim.

I was very excited when I learned that Chevy Cruze had started to be offered in a diesel hatchback in 2017. But upon further research.....GMs are just terrible quality cars. I read up on their forums, asked questions, the general consensus is that it's just not worth it to buy a GM. I can't afford those unexpected expenses right now. If I were more financially stable it would definitely give it a shot. Their forums are littered with people having all kinds of issues with their cars. People on their 3 transmission rebuild in under 2 years of ownership, etc.

So I moved on to deep diving into the Golf TDI. Another diesel hatchback option which is my goal. While they are built better than GMs, they still have their issues. Also, I'm a DIYer for the easy to moderate repair jobs. But Volkswagen don't engineer their vehicles to be easily worked on. Lots of specialized tools and complex construction for no reason.

From what I've read, the main drawback in getting a diesel engine is those pesky modifications the EPA had car manufacturers install: the DPF delete, EGR and SCR systems. So going forward I'm looking into diesel options without those installed.

Which leads me to my question: What years did VW make the Golf without the DPF/SCR/EGR systems installed?

·
Super Moderator
9,158 Posts
google it

Or search TDI Wiki buying guides as that covers write ups and forum posts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts