BROTHER IN LAW IS A VW TECH AND IS LOST
NEED RUNNING AND LOSING HOPE IN IT
ANY IDEAS WOULD BE SO MUCH HELP
COMPRESSION 325-375 EACH
:bowdown

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have your brother in law hook up a obd2/can scanner or vcds. what does the computer say? It should have thrown a code, that will help you the most.

If it's turning over but not running it's either a fuel issue, or immobilizer. Diesels don't really have an ignition.

Ether also isnt a very good idea in a diesel. If the glow plugs ignite it, It'll blow up the whole upper intake.

Check to see you are getting fuel, pull the inline filter and make sure it isn't clogged. Pull a line off the rail and see if it dribbles/sprays fuel out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cracked all 17mm hard lines to injectors, all spray fuel!
Glow plug is only code pulled
brother in law is 12 hours away so its all phone talk but i am loosing faith in his knowledge of old tdi's

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Compression is kind of low. A healthy TDI should test between 400-550. You have fuel, you should still have enough compression to run, so my guess is air or fuel timing. Stop using ether to jump it.

Well it's not the glow plug code.

Triple check all the timing belt markings. Did you make sure the head gasket punch holes were the same number and that the HG was the same thickness?

You said replaced it, replaced the head or just the timing belt. How was the timing belt bad? It's possible there was valve-piston contact if the timing belt broke.

Is the anti shudder valve open? If so, you have air. Check all the vac lines routing against the diagram under the hood.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
has 175k miles
didnt touch heads
bought tdi with broken timing belt
not sure if valves touched pistons
i heard they couldnt touch on AHU motor>?
vacuum lines cause no start?
only cranked it over four times may have gotten higher if i cranked longer...
this is first experience with vw tdi
i have a ford 7.3 deisel and its way different
can IP be one tooth off and not start>?

·
Registered
137 Posts
All TDI are interference engines. If the TB is too far off, you need a new head because the valves can get bent. It doesn't always show up in a compression test because the valves are straight down so you have to remove the lifters and spin the valves or remove the head to make sure.

There's a vacuum line on the anti shudder valve. This is the EGR-air valve and if it's closed shut the engine won't get any air.

If the pump is even out of adjustment it'll make a no start. Have you checked the pump timing with vag com? Are all TB marks on? Your brother should be able to check it for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pull the cam, you will no doubt find some of the cam followers/lifters broken or with spiderweb cracks all over the top. Some may have the tops broken off. The fact remains that if the belt broke the head will have to be repaired or replaced. You will most likly find several broken cam followers. Take the head to a good macine shop, chances are very good you will not have to replace it. Make note of the part# for the head gasket and how many holes in it @ the front edge. In other words don't just throw it in the trash before you get the new one! If you chuck it you will have to go through a bunch of measurements with a dial indicator to determine gasket thickness! Hope this helps L

1 - 7 of 7 Posts