VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

2004 jetta BEW tdi 135K during shift from 1st to 2nd gear sudden drop in power, very heavy smoke from the exhaust, found the turbo disk broken from the shaft, replaced turbo and cleaned all intake parts, put every thimg back together hard to start and very heavy smoke from the exhaust????
does any one have any suggestions, do you think i may have broke some thing in the engine which found its way to the exhaust and ulitimately broke the turbo disk.

best regards
Vahid

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
If the turbo shaft broke, it's very possible that there's still lots of oil in the intake and exhaust. Did you clean all oil out of the intake?

There's not much you can do to clean out the exhaust other than drive the car. It will burn out over time.

Make sure you put back all hoses and do a boost leak test. Replacing the turbo should not cause hard starting. When was the timing belt last changed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi

tiiming belt was changed last year 35k ago, could i possibly have blown a head gasket when the turbo shaft sheared off, should i do a compression ck to see if the valve train didnt go thru the exhaust to cause my turbo failure.

i didnt drive the car when it lost power, the intake and exhaust along with all the piping was very throughly cleaned.

tomorrow i will get a code reader and see what faults i have. also is there any links to walk me thru a compression ck procedure.

i really appreciate all your efforts, i see you help a lot od sad tdi owners. god bless you.

vahid

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. The exhaust is probably full of oil, the quickest thing is to disconnect down pipe and see how the engine starts up. If your cat full of oil you need to replace it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could the residual oil possibly left in the intercooler cause a vapor lock and damage the head gasket?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
If there was a lot of residual oil it could cause hydrolock. Basically, oil is non compressible. A little bit can be burned up. But if there is too much, instead of burning up it causes too much pressure so something has to give way. Normally it's the piston rods. Maybe the head gasket could blow instead. But the greatest risk is when the turbo first blew because the turbo was actively pumping oil out.

I am assuming that the turbo was broken on the intake side right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi

no the turbo broke on the hot section side infact i had to go fish out the turbine wheel out and it just happened that the O2 sensor caught it. which ofcourse got damaged from the collision, because i have that code. lets get to the good news, i was just panicing.

I pulled the glow plugs and motored the engine, nothing came out and i had good compression all theway around. I also pressurized the cooling system and there was no leak. I started the engine and it fired right up, let it idle for 10 minutes, then i went around the block very heavy smoke was exhausting, this time i ignored it and i drove it hard for 30 minutes slowly the smoke cleared up and my tdi is happy again.

now one question I use casrol edge 5-30 syntetic motor oil, on it i cant find the vw505.01 or 506.01 or 507 , is this the wrong oil to use and has that contributed to my turbo failure.

again thanks for sharing your knowledge.

best regards
Vahid:nana2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts