VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I went to clean the speedometer/tachometer/dashboard with the soft brush attachment of my vaccuum and now I have a lot of micro scratches on the face that the sun just hits perfectly to annoy me to no end.

I had no idea the plastic cover was so fragile.

Anyway, is there a chance that the cover can be replaced or would this necessitate replacing the whole cluster assembly?

Not even 2 months into owning the car and this happened already! :annoyed

How are you supposed to dust this area?

Any advice/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, this is a common problem, even paper towels will scratch it. The bristles on the vac cleaner are stiff and have lots of dirt on them. Use clean microfiber towels, they are no-scratch for soft surfaces like paint too. If you have tinted windows, use only microfiber towels and water to clean them.

Remove the cluster (see the FAQ) and pop the lens off. Then use some plastix from meguiars and polish it. Do not use a machine polisher, just use lots of elbow grease.

Here's an example of the after. I prefer to buy used cars so every car I've had has this problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply.

I have to read over the FAQ on the removal and see how adventurous I am vs how much it bothers me.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
see how adventurous I am vs how much it bothers me.
I love your statement!

I want the Euro cup holder so bad, but I'm just not ready to go tearing out the entire center console. I also wouldn't mind having a nice illuminated button to raise and lower my garage doors, but again it looks way to complicated. The ultimate is a guy named "quailallstar". It is simply unbelievable how many do dads he added to his car.

quailallstar's car

·
Registered
36 Posts
Right there with you

At the six month mark mine is scratched up also. I was wondering if it may be possible to replace the lense with something more robust. Matt

·
Registered
41 Posts
Remove the instrument cluster lens. If you see a part number stamped somewhere on it, it can be ordered separately.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love your statement!

I want the Euro cup holder so bad, but I'm just not ready to go tearing out the entire center console. I also wouldn't mind having a nice illuminated button to raise and lower my garage doors, but again it looks way to complicated. The ultimate is a guy named "quailallstar". It is simply unbelievable how many do dads he added to his car.

quailallstar's car
If only Quailallstar was closer... lol

I just hate messing with the cluster because generally once you remove it, the cluster never seems to fit back in as snugly as when new. I guess I am afraid the cluster electronics might go crazy from having to unplug the assembly from the car. OTOH, you did the nice tails and I hope to save up for those some day. I really do like the LED tails.

I plan on going to TDI Fest in September - perhaps I can find someone there who is more adventurous than I am. Funny, I have no problems plugging in a Ross Tech but unplug the dash assembly and I have second thoughts! :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the six month mark mine is scratched up also. I was wondering if it may be possible to replace the lense with something more robust. Matt
I don't feel so bad now. This plastic is so bad that if you even look at it funny it seems to want to scratch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scratching

I have a 2011 JSW TDI and my car was delivered with a scratch on the speedo. I asked them to replace the plastic. They said sure but would have to replace the entire cluster. I was shocked that that was the case. I'm sure it wasnt cheap.

It does scratch very easily. I agree with chittychittybangbang. Use a new microfiber cloth only. Works well. I had a 2007 BMW 335 and never thought about it. I wish the glass were angled the other way so stuff wouldnt settle on it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2011 JSW TDI and my car was delivered with a scratch on the speedo. I asked them to replace the plastic. They said sure but would have to replace the entire cluster. I was shocked that that was the case. I'm sure it wasnt cheap.

It does scratch very easily. I agree with chittychittybangbang. Use a new microfiber cloth only. Works well. I had a 2007 BMW 335 and never thought about it. I wish the glass were angled the other way so stuff wouldnt settle on it.
Normally I do use a microfiber cloth but this one time I let my guard down and now I am dealing with it. Dust does seem to like to settle up there.

·
Super Moderator
9,577 Posts
18 months down the line and mine isn't scratched because I don't clean it with a vacuum cleaner and brush I just wipe it with a soft cloth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts