VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Jetta, 116,400 miles. Dealer serviced since day 1, with 505.01 Castrol. Black smoke started around 80K miles, but drivability OK throughout.

S6300720.jpg S6300731.jpg

S6300733.jpg S6300717.jpg

#1 Follower worst- completely collapsed- caused load rapping noise above 2000 rpm. Mercury-dime sized piece of shrapnel pulled from oil passage. Top of exhaust valve stem worn and rounded off some, but reused.

#8 follower has small hole in top, but was not collapsed.

#3 and #6 badly concave, but not breached yet.

#1 and #2 lower cam bearings galled through to copper.

Of interest, the damage is symmetrical, ie. 1st follower from each end, and 3rd follower from each end.

Dealer said "for some reason, your cam got worn- never seen that before" Recommended refurbished head for $4500.

With this awesome site and $1000 in parts, back on the road, 1500 miles so far, running strong as a bull.

ECS Tuning magnetic oil drain plug caught some more shrapnel.

Switched to Mobil 1 TDT. 41 mpg 80/20 highway/suburbs last fillup.

Thanks to Chitty for the tool rental, personal advice, and moral support.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Acorn

Yeah, that was definitely a "WTF is that??!!" moment. First I thought it was a huge piece of metal, but the magnetic pickup had no grab on it. So I figured it might be a wad of sludge or something... After extracting with the claw tweezers... turned out to be an oil-soaked acorn cap...

So how did squirrels get into my cylinder head?? Best I can guess, it happened when the dealer stored the car outside with the head cover off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Which of course begs the question - how to postpone this as long as possible? My wife's got an '05 Golf that just turned over 50,000 miles (yes, she doesn't do a lot of miles but loves a diesel)...I'd like to keep this failure from happening. Her car is also getting the 505.01 from new at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
2006 Jetta, Experiencing same rapping noise above 2000 rpm. Have 125k miles. I don't recommend dealers 505.01 Castrol 5w30 oil. Started using oil around 80k miles and feel that deteriorate the camshaft. Big mistake

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I don't get it. If the VW spec oil is supposed to lubricate properly, then why is this happening? At Autozone I can find the Castrol full synthetic oil 5 liter jug 5w30 for 36 dollars. The individual quart is almost 9 bucks at Autozone and the VW dealer as well.

The one at Autozone does not say that it complies with VW standards but the color, looks of the bottle and the rest of the specs are exactly the same.

Is it a fair assessment to say that it is the same oil with different labels? I wish a Chemical engineer would answer this at a molecular level.

I own a Ford Excursion Diesel engine and I did buy an OEM knuckle without the motorcraft stamp for half the price. Is the same case with oils? is there an agreement to stamp the VW logo to increase the price of the bottle?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Most have found that 5-40 Mobil 1 TDT or Rotella T-6 do a better job protecting the cam. Other oils do fine as well in the 5-40 flavor, those are the two that I remember, and Pentosin HP II as well.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Thanks. I stumbled upon a similar discussion topic in a touareg diesel forum, and apparently there is a bidding process to be approved by vw as an approved oil. I have serviced my car at the dealer while it was under warranty and I am hearing a knock which disapears after I change the oil. The oil is supposed to las 10K but after 7K the noise starts.

I will be changing to 5w40.

At the touareg forum they mentioned black and silver lifters. Some coated with teflon and others are not. Suposedly the coated ones are black and last forever and vw to save a buck went with the cheap ones.

They even mention this forum as a reference.

Has anyone been in the need to upgrade to teflon lifters?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts