VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to everyone in the forum. My name is Brian, and I am about to take delivery of a brand spankin' new 2011 JSW next week. I am privileged to be able to join a community with so much history and knowledge.

I have found your information to be invaluable in my research which has resulted in my purchase. When you read the "testimonials" found on the various buying websites, you just wonder if it's the sales guy at some dealership trying to "sell you the magic elixir". :panic: If it's on the internet, it has to be true, right? (Har har)

As I prepare to enter my new world, I have been trying to be judicious to learn as much as I can. Unfortunately, living in gasoline-land all my life has not provided as much preparation as I had hoped. As I have scoured this and another TDI forum, the thought in my head was OMG, what have I done to myself; what have I gotten myself into???

So, the purpose of my post is just to get some assurance that I am on the right track, and we will all live happily ever after. We all need tons of assurance these days. :laugh:

I have some initial conclusions from what I've read, and I'd love to hear what the veterans think. Yes, I am being very simplistic, but I am still "tender"! :eek: Be gentle.

Here goes:

1. Manuals are written as much by the lawyers as by the mechanics. So, if they say change the oil every 10k, and the belt at xx,000, then do it. Things that are 'required' are in fact 'required'; things that are 'recommended' are the CYA things you need to confirm.

2. The break in period -- talk about making your head explode. :eek In summary, I infer that setting the cruise control in Buffalo at 70 mph and not turning it off until you hit NYC on the Thruway is probably not a great idea in the first 10,000 miles. If you just drive the car like you would otherwise, you'll be fine. Don't stress a cold engine; don't baby a warm one.

3. Buying diesel at the Hess on Main Street will keep you just fine. Don't worry about winter/summer blends, biodiesel and all that stuff for now.

4. Most dealers and their service departments live in gasoline-land. Having been a charter member, I can certainly tell when a service dept rep tells me something that doesn't pass the smell test. The gut knows for sure. On TDI planet, I'm not so sure what to believe and trust. Some people, for example, are adamant about not changing the oil for the first 10k. My sales guy told me to bring the car in for the 3k timeframe so they could check things out especially things like changing the oil or anything else that could be spotted. WHERE did that come from?

So, while my chatterbox is going here at warp speed, I am really very excited about the new purchase, and I just need to make sure I've not lost my mind. Ha!

Thanks again for this and any future help you provide to all the community......b

·
Registered
482 Posts
You'll really enjoy the car. Change the oil every 10k. You could go longer but you'd need an analysis to figure out how you use oil and that would add to the cost of the oil change. The timing belt is a strict must do. Use 507.00 VW engine oil because it's forumalted for cars with DPF filters. I would leave it in for the full 10k as I've heard it's a special break in oil.

I would buy diesel at any local station that has good turn over. The car will start a little easier if you use powerservice winter blend but you don't need it for NJ.

Good idea on the break in period. As long as you don't trash the engine, let it idle for a long time, or leave it at constant rpm, you'll be fine. Otherwise people's engines would be failing left and right.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

1. I know someone who was a technical writer for Honda and I can tell you they knew absolutely nothing about cars or mechanics. They were a Journalism major. Changing the air filters will keep the car happy. Things like the fuel filters are essential because diesel fuel tends to be dirtier than gas. Even gas cars are moving towards "lifetime fuel filters" but I can assure you that there's no such thing as a lifetime fuel filter.

4. Maybe it's just me but I think the current TDIs have been surprisingly good sellers vs. past generations. There's actually advertising on TV and you don't have to search 2 states over to find a wagon now that supply has caught up. Stick to the owner's manual service recommendations, 10k first oil change is fine. The first oil change was already at the factory as well.

"Where did it come from?" He's a service writer. There are good ones and bad ones but I've talked to enough bad ones to know that like technical writers...they just work there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good advice. I appreciate it. My car came from a dealership in Pennsylvania, and it was the only one around to be found. So, your observation is corroborated by my experience. At work, we have one of those 'friends and family' plans with GM, Ford, and VW. If the dealer participates in the program, the price you pay is determined by the program. For VW, guess what? TDI is excluded. Thus, there is no free lunch I guess. Thanks again...b

1 - 4 of 4 Posts