VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reading up on the technical stuff, I ran across the section on the particulate filter. Has Ross Tech managed to get access to the 2010/11 particulate loading data? Also, I'll admit to kinda freaking about having to drop the engine subframe to change out the PDF. Is that still necessary? Just exactly what's the price on the PDF itself?

I'm starting to love my older/larger diesel vehicles more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The DPF load is a value that's shown in VCDS. When it gets high it'll trigger a regen cycle. If it gets over 90% it'll trigger the light. That means the filter is full and hasn't had a complete cycle in a while, or something is wrong. At 95% it wont do a regen at all anymore it must be done manually as an emergency regen.

DPF have been around for decades, many large truck use them and they are somewhat cheap and they are "cleanable". The problem is to get to the DPF on the transverse VW you have to drop the entire subfram and the motor essentailly to get it out. The labor isn't cheap.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If the parts catalog is correct, the 2010 Jetta, Sportwagen, and Golf have a 2 piece replacement for the DPF-NOX cat vs. the 1 piece for 2009 and the Audi A3. I don't know if it makes DPF removal easier but the manual says to lower the subframe. Judging from the pictures I'm leaning towards they are right.

Current list price of 1k0254401t (1k0 254 401 t) is $3,350 retail, $2,860 internet "street price". This is the later style cat/DPF. I can't find the price of the early style 1 piece.

However, searching ebay.de, people are selling used units for $400-$500 US.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry about the dyslexic acromyn, the hour was very late. The article posted by CCBB indicated that for 2010/11 the VCDS was showing zero as values for the filter load. This concerned me, the data is supposed to be available to non-factory service tools. It's nice to be able to verify operation/condition.

The price of a replacement is jaw dropping. I'd expect them to get cheaper by the time I might actually need one due to increased volume. I can recall when catalytic converters were several hundred dollars. After I posted I did some fuel savings calculations and the price of the DPF pretty much wipes any savings out. There's currently no aftermarket that my parts guy knows about.

Hopefully someone will come out with a trick to get it out without dropping the subframe. I expect that's one reason the re-engineered it. Thanks guys. I'm still leaning toward the Sportwagen, but whoa!

BTW, "lifetime part" is an elastic term. My average length of ownership is around 18 years. I do almost all my own work outside of warranty/recalls.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello to all. On the vehicle with the cjaa engine the subframe has to be removed, but it is quite easy, just a bunch of bolts. The engine does not have to come out on 2.0l tdi models. On the cbea engine equipped vehicle the steering rack may need to be removed to lower the dpf assembly but not on cjaa. The wheel alignment needs to be performed after the procedure on these. I hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts