VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

My name is Rob Chambers and I have a 2004 Jetta TDI with 4002,000 kms' on it now. Have replaced 2 turbo's. I am now experiencing lose of turbo, turbo returns after turning ignition off to on, but only works for about 10 seconds and then turns off again. Joined this site because I am getting tired of the costly repairs from the dealership.

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and thanks for your reply. Went to a private garage that fixes Jetta's specifically. He told me both times that the turbo was gone, the replacement of the first 2 turbos was because their was a whole lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust and he told me that the turbo was gone. I am very new to diesel's actually know nothing about them at all. So i joined this site to try to save money and learn about them. I am mechanically inclined so i believe with help i can resolve this issue with the limp mode. I took off the clip ring and remove i believe was the intercooler output hardpipe-intake lastnight and it was clean. I did however notice with a flashlight that there was oil residue and build-up underneath the EGR. There is a exhaust leak somewhere in this area, in cold weather start-ups and alot of white smoke comes out from under the hood nothing when it is warmer out. Alot of carbon in the engine firewall area and you can hear the leak. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as I cannot afford another $2300 to change out turbo.

Thanks Rob

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I can't speak about the previous turbo problems but there is most likely no problem with the turbo right now since it's so new. If you remove intercooler lower hose and there's only a little oil, turbo is not leaking oil into intake.

The oil under the EGR could be from the weep hole. Normal but worn. No reason to change unless the leak is bad, lots of oil could be fire hazard, will not affect function.

You already know htere's an exhaust leak, you just have to find it. Look for the source of the soot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I just came in from the garage, with the accordion hose off from the air filter, I had my son start the car and there was alot of smoke that looked like it came from the top of the intake manifold, i am assuming that the gasket is worn, over the pass few months i have notice that this limp gradually progress to this state now. At first i could turn the car off and on and the turbo would stay on for quite awhile, now it \'s on only a few seconds, also the sound from the leak has grown steadily worst as well. So i am linking my problems with a leaking intake manifold which i am assuming since i been reading a pile of info from the forum that this may more then likely my problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think if the turbos were blown they should have blown black or blueish smoke because oil burns that color. White smoke is normally coolant or condensation. Condensation wouldn't blow a whole lot of white smoke though and if replacing the turbo fixed it, maybe they were sticking or something. You don't always have to replace it though. Even the actuator can be replaced separately.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so let me understand this, if there was a leak at the intake manifold this would cause the car to go into limp mode, correct? Also, if there was white smoke coming from the rear of the engine, this shouldn't be the intake manifold gasket since i would think it would sucking in and not blowing out the smoke? Not sure, know nothing about this diesel BEW engine. Also, would the exhaust manifold leaking be a reason for the limp mode? Going to change the fuel filter this weekend, needs it anyways. Have a spare MAF from a previous misdiagnoses, going to change that out.

thanks again for everybody's help in this matter,

Rob

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If the TDI engine had a strong vacuum in the intake it would be sucking in air through a leak. However, your car doesn't have a throttle to make a strong vac (only for regulating EGR) so it would blow out smoke, especially whlie driving.

A leaking exhaust manifold shouldn't cause limp mode but a leaking intake may.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, changed fuel filter and MAF. Right off the bat the rpm responded very well just like normal. But after about a mile of driving the turbo kicked out again and restarting car fixed it for awhile. Now still have a leak i believe at the intake manifold, fixing this on Friday. See you then.

Thanks again everybody!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Did you check the actuator moves nicely and that it's not the vanes sticking in the turbo or did you just replace the turbo recently? Also was it a nice new clean turbo or a second hand unit? I'm just curious because looking back at your posts it doesn't mention when the turbo was last replaced or if it was cleaned prior to fitting etc or if the actuator had been checked or vacuum lines replaced because they tend to perish inside where it's not obvious:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Seatman, the turbo is about 1.5 yrs old, brand new when installed. Haven't checked vacuum lines as of yet. Going to do a leak test tomorrow. I know there is a leak somewhere and i believe it is from the intake manifold or exhaust manifold. On cold mornings when i start it a bunch of white smoke comes up right around where the EGR is then goes away after it starts. I don't think it is the vanes because when i installed the MAF tonight the rpm's and motor respond just like there was never a problem turbo ran great, took for spin and then a mile down the road off went the turbo. I am assuming right now that the leak is at the intake manifold side, i can hear it.
Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I thought at first my problem was the intake manifold gasket. Got under the car Friday and found out that 1 bolt fell out of the EGR piping and the gasket was broken, after replacing gasket took it for a spin and voila turbo back and running again.
Thanks for everybody's help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, turbo is working fine now after replacing gasket. But now car has developed a shudder under acceleration in all gears. Did a diesel purge with Webro Molly, put through 2 cans, car seems to idle alot better now but still has a shudder problem when acceleration. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Okay, turbo is working fine now after replacing gasket. But now car has developed a shudder under acceleration in all gears. Did a diesel purge with Webro Molly, put through 2 cans, car seems to idle alot better now but still has a shudder problem when acceleration. Any ideas?

Thanks
A shudder in all gears is normally a boost leak or fueling problem. A shudder while decelerating is often a maladjusted quantity adjuster on the injection pump.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the quick reply. Ok done a leak boost test. Here is the way i did it. Removed intake from air box and placed a plastic bag over it. Underneath the maf on the air box is a small rubber hose leading to the N75 solenoid, i put 5 psi into that and waited for the bag to expand, after the bag expanded i turned of the air supply and waited and stayed there until i removed the air supply. Did not hear any air leaking. Still getting a shudder in acceleration. Now, I had the glow plug recall done last weekend, the service tech said that when he pulled the #2 plug out that it looked burnt and he thought maybe something was wrong with the injector #2. After he said this is when i put 2 cans of webro-molly through the injectors (forgot to mention in a previous post, sorry) . Could a clogged or bad injector produce this shuddering? I would think it could since it may only be working on 3 cylinders. Any more ideas on this problem, I am thinking of pulling the injector and have it professionally cleaned and possibly rebuilt.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You have a 2004 so you have the pumpe duse injectors. It's a little more work to rebuild them. I know kermatdi.com does it, it's possible there could be some problem with the camshaft. Take a look in the FAQ for the camshaft inspection article.

Sorry, ignore the part about the quantity adjuster, I thought for a second you had a 2003.

For a second I thought this problem was resolved :)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Classic symptom of one or two under-performing cylinder(s) is shuddering under some load..It may also shake a fair bit at idle, if it's also having an issue at low load.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts