VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the passat's parking brake is a push button system. What happens if your car battery dies? Is it some sort of switch that is off-on when you apply juice to the parking brake? How does it work? Not that the passat diesel is here yet, but I'd like to get one.

The worse case would be if when you lose power, it automatically applies the parking brake so if main power ever cuts out, the parking brake might cause the rear wheels to lock up.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I'm sure that the engineers have thought of some solution. The parking brake is probably on-off and locks it's position.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hmm.....that is a good point. Some models in the last few years of the Mercedes Benz E class had electronic brakes...the new Jetta has electronic steering...I have no idea what happens in an emergency.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
There have been some reports of the electric parking brake having problems, like grabbing when you want to go, etc. It's also the hill holder, it holds the car when you are not driving and prevents the car from sliding backwards. The problem is when it doesn't work...

Benzes no longer use brake by wire because they had so many issues with it too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts