VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 600 miles a week to work. All freeway driving. I've been looking at the Passat TDI. Does it really perform as well as they say? Thanks !

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Yes. Check fuelly online for real-world fuel economy. I think a stick has slightly better, butyou want the comfortable seats of the SEL if you have long commutes.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Yes, but it all depends on your driving style. If you drive 55-60mph then you should get 46-50 mpg. If you drive 60-70mph you should get 42-46 mpg. If you drive 70-80 mph then you should get 36-42 mpg. I have 68000 miles on my 2013 Passat and I have averaged 42 mpg with mixed driving. Also, your mpg will drop in cold weather climates and bumper to bumper California Orange Crush traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I drive 600 miles a week to work. All freeway driving. I've been looking at the Passat TDI. Does it really perform as well as they say? Thanks !
60 miles one-way? If your typical commute is under an hour, I'd expect you to see anything from 40 mpg to 50 mpg, once the car is broken in.

If your 60 mile commute takes a couple of hours in stop-and-go traffic, you'll be closer to 35 mpg, maybe less.

Notice that right now Diesel is more than $1 less than regular unleaded gasoline in California. That probably won't last, but it's great right now.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Ive got 67K on my 2013 and have only had a few tanks that were in the 39 range. A few in the 50.x range with most of them in the 42-46range. Click the banner below and you will see my stats. I drive speed limit but not much more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are 2 great mileage cars - if mostly city then hybrid wins- if mostly highway then diesel wins. With that out of the way- the TDI "feels" better driving in either city or highway. The hybrid( specifically Prius) has a CVT which sucks in my opinion. The DSG is very nice in comparison. The TDI never feels like it is working hard- Prius feels like rodents are straining to gain speed. I also like how the Passat feels well planted at highway speeds (90+) on the toll way in Texas. To me the TDI even wins in city traffic because of CVT in Prius.
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
There are 2 great mileage cars - if mostly city then hybrid wins- if mostly highway then diesel wins. With that out of the way- the TDI "feels" better driving in either city or highway. The hybrid( specifically Prius) has a CVT which sucks in my opinion. The DSG is very nice in comparison. The TDI never feels like it is working hard- Prius feels like rodents are straining to gain speed. I also like how the Passat feels well planted at highway speeds (90+) on the toll way in Texas. To me the TDI even wins in city traffic because of CVT in Prius.
Robert
The Prius (and Ford Hybrid) CVT is a very different animal from the CVT in other cars -- like the Subaru. The Prius transmission is just odd.

What I don't really like about hybrids is the extra complexity. Sure, you've got batteries and an electric motor, but you've also got things like a "radiator" in the exhaust to heat the engine coolant.

It's a lot of work for a few MPG.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Robert
I just finished buying a new used car. I do mixed driving but mostly suburban and city. Passat TDI was high on the list. I ended up with a Ford CMax Energi. I did drive a Prius as well but was generally unimpressed. Given the expense of maintaining any vehicle these days, especially one with expensive engines or technology, I wanted an extended warranty and included that cost in my calculations/comparisons. The cost of 7yr/100,000mile warranty on a Passat was two and a half times as much as for the Cmax or Prius. I assume the actuarial analysis is based on insurance company experience so the economies of vehicle maintenance may trump the excellent MPG with VW diesels. Used VW diesels and Pri sell for a premium. On the other hand, CMax Energis can be had cheap as they come off lease. Mine is a 2013, 23,000 miles, loaded with all options (similar to SEL) and cost me $18K.

Yes the DSG is a highly regarded transmission but it is also expensive to maintain. I don't see any advantages at all of the DSG in city traffic either. We're not talking about driving in the twisties. Stop and go traffic is a setting where CVT has no real disadvantages. I was a bit wary of the CVT because of all the moaning and groaning in car magazines but honestly it has been a non issue. The transmission works perfectly in city traffic and works fine on highways. I haven't attempted a road race through the mountains yet. The CMax, for all it's PR problems with overstated MPG, is actually a very car like vehicle (it is in fact a Ford Focus in every way except for power train). Mine is the plug in version and as my typical commute is 20 miles round trip, I don't use any gas at all unless traveling further. When on a long highway trip traveling at 70-75, I get MPG in low 40's. Around town after battery is depleted I get mid 40's. At 15 cents/Kw, it costs me less than a buck to drive the 20 miles on electric. After four months and 5000 miles, I'm quite content with the CMax. Only major complaint is the small storage space which is about a quarter of what the Passat has. No doubt the Passat is the car to have if taking four passengers plus luggage on interstate trips but for suburban/urban driving the CMax is just about perfect, even with a CVT.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just went over 25k miles this week on my Passat with no issues. I had a 2013 Prius v5 before and somewhat miss the utility of it, but don't miss the driving experience, which described in one word - boring. The Passat TDI is fun and engaging to drive, I get the same mileage as the v5, but the back seat of the Passat is huge, and the trunk is large as well. Hybrids are pretty reliable and have low cost maintenance, but at the time I needed a new car, the 2014 v5's were rated poor in the IIHS small offset crash tests, while the Passat was acceptable. I did drive the Fusion and Camry hybrids, but I couldn't accept the small trunk since I do need carrying space if I'm giving up the space I had with the v5. I also drove the Jetta Sportwagon - now replaced with the Golf Sportwagen, but they're just a bit too small in the back seat for what I need. I do love the fact that I can do 700+ miles per tank of fuel so I'm stopping less often to fill-up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts