VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new on here, but i love my 03 tdi passat est, so will be on here getting tips ect.
my question for now is , at my MOT check my garage said that the o/s headlight shook to much in the beam tester, noe i am in the middle of doing the mod mentioned on the forum on how to stop it with foam ender the support and bumper edge, what im wondering is do these lights give problems as it dose seem a bit more rattly inside than the other light ?
im reluctant to put the bumper back on if im gona have to buy a new light anyway.
Will save me @£123
Cheers for any advice.
Gav.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The headlight itself isn't well supported.

If your engine is running rough or the CV joints are worn, it will cause more vibration to be transmitted to the engine. If your car is an automatic, shift the car into neutral during the headlight test and it may help reduce vibration at idle. A bad joint can cause vibration on one side.

Also, all projector headlamps are typically supported at 3 points so that they can be adjusted. I guess it might not be supporting it all the way. I wouldn't buy a new light since I don't think it's a light. It should be fine while driving, it's really just at idle that it shakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers thats what i wanted to hear, away to stick the bumper back on and pack it with foam now. :nana2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe someone tapped your bumper when you were parked and broke one of the headlight mounting tabs. All VWs seem to have brittle headlight tabs. I know the dealer sells headlight tab repair kits for Jetta.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts