VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have had this excellent beast for 6 years and now at 165k I think the CV joints are on the way out. I get clicking when I drive off at low speed with the wheels turned in either direction. My dilema is that I have a new Golf estate on order but It won't be delivered from the factory until March, so I would like to spend as little as possible up to then... I need to get another 2k out of the car so if I don't replace the joints are they likely to crack up completely? :panic:Does anyone have any tips or shortcuts I could use?
Have a great christmas guys & gals!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Take a look at the writeup in the B5 how to FAQ list. If they're clicking they cannot be saved.

Shortcuts : buy cheap replacement axles - they're cheaper than buying quality CV joints. The downside is that they often cause a bad vibration at idle because of play in the new joints. When you go to sell the car it will lower resale because any prospective buyer will wonder why the engine is shaking so bad. It reality it will be the CV joints.

Because of this, I suggest just buying good replacement joints and reusing the balanced VW axles. It will be more expensive short term but you don't have to worry about lowering the resale later or replacing it with another junk part and the next owner will much appreciate it as well.

Also, post moved to mk4 technical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
response

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a pair of CV joints fitted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend checked the joints and replaced the bad one. I now have what can only be described an an "ABS" type pulsing when I brake ...any ideas what might be causing this ...can't see anything obvious?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
That happened to me on the Audi (same system) when someone else did the brakes. The ABS is going off due to a damaged sensor. It could be the sensor in the hub, bad wire, or damaged ring (the other half of a sensor).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts