VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined yesterday and am back with my first of many questions. I've got a 2005 passat TDI and the ac take about 5 to 10 minutes to start cooling. Once it is going its blowing nice cold air. Does anyone have any pointers where to start looking for the problem. Bit of a double whammy because 2 of the windows are inoperative at the moment (read the thread and think I can solve that problem) but until I do it's very hot here in South FL. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Are the AC electric fans in the front working? Bad compressor? Have the system pressure checked at a professional shop. I don't know much about AC, just trying to help and point you in the general direction. I've heard of bad relays on these cars, it's relay 384 under the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved.

Update, found out about relay 384 and found a post about repairing it with a little bit of solder. Once I knew what to do it was easy. Got to the relay from behind the fuse box cover (mind you don't cut your hand on the sharp edges) pulled it out. I pried it apart with a small screwdriver to reveal the circuit board. A quick close look exposed the cracked terminal so I dumped a seagull dropping of solder, put it all back together, started the car and there was cold air blowing in my face.

I took a couple of photo's of the circuit board, just can't figure out how to get them on here yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just fixed the 384 relay and saved myself at least $50 (I had to drop $10 on a soldering iron and solder).

My soldering job looked like a 1st grader's playdough sculpture, but it seems to have worked - the ac came on right away.

Hot weather seems to have triggered the complete break, so parking in the hot Texas sun tomorrow will be the true test.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts