VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 98 Passat tdi, right hand drive. My aircon compressor died last year (while it was 38 degrees outside!!) which I had replaced with a secondhand unit.
The dealer (very trustworthy) says that the break-up of the compressor allowed particles of crud to block the filter, which is (if I understood him correctly) in the main pipe under the battery.
A limited amount of cooling takes place but maybe ony 20 percent - not enough for our climate.
The dealer was unable to unscrew the in-line filter housing (has sat under water for a while - blocked drain) and was worried about breaking the pipe. I live in a left-hand drive area so the pipe could not be replaced under three weeks, too long to keep out dust or water.
I want to buy a replacement pipe on eBay but unable to be sure that it is the pipe with the filter.
A final complication is that the rear left-hand footwell becomes a swimming pool when the aircon is left on - I think it comes through the heater duct under the front seat.

Can anyone suggest a solution - my idea was maybe take off each end of the pipe and put compressed air through in reverse.
Is the pipe accessible?
Where exactly is the drain from the cooling matrix?

The car has covered 225,000 miles and still runs beautifully so I'm not ready to give up on it yet!

All suggestions gratefully received.

Misterfish

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
First, make sure to fix the swimming pool problem ASAP. The front footwells have the automatic transmission and CCM module under the carpeting and they can be damaged by water. Check the sunroof drains as well, there's a FAQ article on how to do this, there's also drains under the battery for the windshield area. The cabin air filter gasket can also leak.

Attached is a diagram of what I think your AC system looks like, I don't know what engine code you have. It should be printed on the timing belt sticker, 3 letter code, if it's ATM or ATJ, this is it. The filter is part number 1. Part number 10, the hose, is a different part.

also, since this is a bit more technical than a quick intro, post moved to mk4 section.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh. Many thanks for the diagram. The tiny piece number 24 is what the agent showed me - didn't mention the big filter unit - as being the point of blockage, between pipes 6 & 7 which would not come apart due to corrosion. How easy would it be to replace that end of the pipe, and would a blow through with an airline help do you think?
My pool is in the back footwell, only fills up when the aircon is on (all summer!) and I think it arrives there from the heater duct. No sunroof. Previously had the battery drain blocked (I park under trees) and re-made a couple of connections in the CCM module.
Is there a drain from the aircon matrix, if so, where can I find it please?

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Misterfish

PS I used to have a neigbour, in the sixties, who had a scar on his forearm; he had cut himself working on Chitty-bang-bang 2 (before the war, obviously) at T&T in Cobham.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There should be a tube coming from the AC system behind the dashboard exiting near the firewall.

Sorry, I'm not an AC guy but anytime you disconnect the AC lines the system should be evacuated and refilled by a pro or else there's moisture in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts