VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Passat AFN 110 weird issue

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Alekceuwaf 
#1 ·
having sorted out a duff fuel temp sensor later in the day car starts to rock at tickover so removed oil cap and

i have vcds lite unregistered in measuring blocks group 4 i read

882 rpm 1.3 btdc 0.9btdc
1176rpm 0.4 atdc 0.4 atdc

do u think timing is out

or are piston rings shot

i always thought engines reqd more advance the faster they ran

seems a little odd

thoughts please hopefully not the scrap yard

tia

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Car: Passat is a bit vague, you need to add the year?

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 03/1996-12/1996, Model: Passat/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: AFN, 81Kw, 110PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

Post moved to correct section. ;)

#3 ·
ah right well i am quite a fan passat wise ,,update i did compression test 380 on 3 cyl 160 on 1 other ,,,suspect stuck rings or even broken rings now ,,,trying to use water injection to decarbonise engine ,, might take some time though ,,how easy to remove sump and cyl head re ring the thing ,,tempting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.